Boxing

A forum for non-baseball sports
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Boxing

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

2+ months of incessant, stupid coverage (no one likes talking about baseball, the timing is perfect), for a stupid sideshow fight between two aholes who are going to get super rich.

We all lose.

What exactly is Dana White's role? Does he have some representation rights over McGregor or something? I'd be happy to never see that guy again either.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:What exactly is Dana White's role? Does he have some representation rights over McGregor or something?
Correct. UFC's contract prohibits fighting in any other fight promotions without consent.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

thrill wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:it's tough to think of many that have more public contempt for the UFC organization.
Just for fun: Al Iaquinta, Anderson Silva, & Rory MacDonald.

You might be right. I have a hard time seeing it just yet though. Not at the height of his fame and earning ability. Also, he has no real contempt for the UFC. He's negotiating leverage at all times. He has such little contempt for the UFC, he wants to be an owner.
Yeah, my bad. I had thought he threatened to quit but just threatened to not fight. Forgot it was all a negotiating ploy.

Still....

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

[quote="AWvsCBsteeeerike3"]
I get ya. I don't think there's a single thing Conor could do that would blow my mind. Retire after Floyd. Climb Everest. Join NASA and go to the moon. Successful NBC sitcom.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
There you have it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The group of more than 100 ringside doctors, whose members have decades of experience and have worked hundreds of major bouts in New York, Nevada and other jurisdictions, is arguing that McGregor, the mixed martial arts champion who will be fighting in his first professional boxing bout, is overmatched by Mayweather, who is 49-0 and considered the best boxer of his generation.

“We were very surprised this bout was even sanctioned and was going to be permitted to carry on,” said Larry Lovelace, a doctor and the president of the organization, which is focused on preserving fighter safety. “The thing I really fear, truly fear, is that somebody’s going to get really hurt in this upcoming fight.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/spor ... oxing.html

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

McGregor did better than I thoguht he would. But the outcome was a given.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I was planning on going somewhere to watch the fight with friends but ended up being lazy and just staying home and forgetting about it. I'm kind of glad that I did. I'm not really a boxing or MMA fan so I don't think I would have really enjoyed 10 rounds of whatever happened. I'm guessing it was a pretty boring fight since I haven't seen video of it posted everywhere like it would have if one of them would have gotten knocked out really early as I figured would happen.

I was on the phone with a friend with plenty of time to head somewhere to watch the fight around 9pm and eventually just told them that I had no desire to shower and leave the apartment to watch a 20 second fight. I was wrong about the duration of the fight but I still haven't heard anybody say that it was very exciting or must watch boxing.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

GGG v Canelo was damn good. Wonky scoring, but I think the draw was the right call. Rematch should be great.