Boxing

A forum for non-baseball sports
Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

PHILLYCARD wrote:
vnmn23 wrote:
Grammar_Police wrote:
Sutter'sBeard wrote:Very True. I'm a huge boxing fan but I lean towards "blood and guts" fighters rather than defensive, technical fighers. I think I will have to find a new favarite now that Gatti was ripped appart in his last fight.

You can probably start with that friggin Baldomir.

He looked like he would be perfectly content standing in the middle of the ring throwing bombs with any other fighter all day.
Baldomir has never been regarded as a "puncher". Out of his 50-something fights, that was only his 13th KO. He just kept coming forward against Gatti, landing basically at will since Gatti's punches seemed to not effect Carlos at all, although Gatti hurting his hand again surely didn't help. The fight came down to Gatti being overmatched at a higher weight, not Baldomir's overwhelming punching power.

SuttersBeard, if you're looking for another "blood and guts warrior" you'd probably like guys like Manny Pacquiao (130) and Miguel Cotto (147). Cotto had a fight against Ricardo Torres last year reminiscent of a Gatti fight. Torres hurt Cotto badly early and knocked him down in the second round. Cotto came back and knocked the guy out cold in the middle rounds. Cotto currently holds a belt at 140lbs, but is expected to move up to 147 in his next fight. It would have likely been Gatti had he won, but now who knows.
I agree. I think Mayweather will destroy Baldomir if they get together.

I am a huge Cotto fan also. I think he broke his hand in that last fight. There was talk that if Gatti beat Baldomir then it would give Cotto enough time to heal and he would face Gatti for the Welterweight crown in December. But now its a wash. Cotto is moving up from junior welterweight and I'm real intrested to see who he fights next. He might get Baldomir if Mayweather takes on Sugar Shane... Gotta love this division. Ricky Hatton is also in the mix.
The welterweights and the lightweights are the only divisions in boxing that are worth following closely. Klitschko is the only heavyweight that I even want to watch.

Grammar_Police
All-Star

Post by Grammar_Police »

Sutter'sBeard wrote:The welterweights and the lightweights are the only divisions in boxing that are worth following closely. Klitschko is the only heavyweight that I even want to watch.

Totally agree.

The other night I was watching Friday Night Fights or something and they showed the top 10 in the Hvywt division.

I almost barfed.

Code: Select all

Rating	Fighter	Record
1	WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO	46-3 (41)
2	HASIM RAHMAN	41-5-2 (33)
3	JAMES TONEY	69-4-3 (43)
4	SERGEI LIAKHOVICH	23-1 (14)
5	LAMON BREWSTER	33-3 (29)
6	JOHN RUIZ	41-6-1 (28)
7	CHRIS BYRD	39-3-1 (20)
8	CALVIN BROCK	29-0 (22)
9	SAMUEL PETER	26-1 (22)
10	NICOLAY VALUEV	44-0 (32)

Sutter'sBeard

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

Grammar_Police wrote:
Sutter'sBeard wrote:The welterweights and the lightweights are the only divisions in boxing that are worth following closely. Klitschko is the only heavyweight that I even want to watch.

Totally agree.

The other night I was watching Friday Night Fights or something and they showed the top 10 in the Hvywt division.

I almost barfed.

Code: Select all

Rating	Fighter	Record
1	WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO	46-3 (41)
2	HASIM RAHMAN	41-5-2 (33)
3	JAMES TONEY	69-4-3 (43)
4	SERGEI LIAKHOVICH	23-1 (14)
5	LAMON BREWSTER	33-3 (29)
6	JOHN RUIZ	41-6-1 (28)
7	CHRIS BYRD	39-3-1 (20)
8	CALVIN BROCK	29-0 (22)
9	SAMUEL PETER	26-1 (22)
10	NICOLAY VALUEV	44-0 (32)
1 WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO - The class of the heavyweights.
2 HASIM RAHMAN- Shown signs of a champ but also showed signs of taking a nap in the ring.
3 JAMES TONEY- Sometimes active but always looks like a Silverback gorilla who playes a little too much X-Box.
4 SERGEI LIAKHOVICH-Only fought 3 viable HWt's
LAMON BREWSTER-Fat blub with some knockout power
6 JOHN RUIZ -Puts meth addicts to sleep.
7 CHRIS BYRD-Pitter pat, pitter pat, needs to retire
8 CALVIN BROCK-Too smart for his own good, some talent.
9 SAMUEL PETER-If he cares he is real good
10 NICOLAY VALUEV-Freak show

Grammar_Police
All-Star

Post by Grammar_Police »

Sutter'sBeard wrote: 1 WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO - The class of the heavyweights.
2 HASIM RAHMAN- Shown signs of a champ but also showed signs of taking a nap in the ring.
3 JAMES TONEY- Sometimes active but always looks like a Silverback gorilla who playes a little too much X-Box.

You are far too nice to some of these guys.

=D>

robbotis
Perennial All-Star

Post by robbotis »

Grammar_Police wrote:

=D>
Anyone watch the Liakhovich-Brewster fight this winter?
It was awesome. Some of these guys are talented.
The problem is they do to much holding and fainting, and not enough dancing and throwing.
They all saw Lennox Lewis hold his way to stardom. The only difference is Lennox was able to throw alot of punches that hurt, then hold, to further wear down his opponets. Other than Klitshko, Liakovich, and Brewster, the rest of the heavys appear scared to throw.
Peter will throw, but often times throw himself into trouble.

Sutter'sBeard

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

robbotis wrote:
Grammar_Police wrote:

=D>
Anyone watch the Liakhovich-Brewster fight this winter?
It was awesome. Some of these guys are talented.
The problem is they do to much holding and fainting, and not enough dancing and throwing.They all saw Lennox Lewis hold his way to stardom. The only difference is Lennox was able to throw alot of punches that hurt, then hold, to further wear down his opponets. Other than Klitshko, Liakovich, and Brewster, the rest of the heavys appear scared to throw.
Peter will throw, but often times throw himself into trouble.
This is the major problem with the watchablility of the heavyweight division. Yes, holding and grabbing has been around since boxing has been around, but Ruiz, Lewis, etc have brought it to a new level. The officiating needs to get serious about stopping it if boxing wants to compete with the UFC, etc.

robbotis
Perennial All-Star

Post by robbotis »

I agree, action is what sells.
There is nothing better than an action packed title match.
Especially heavyweights, cause those guys can hit.
But, they are to few and far between.

PHILLYCARD
Veteran Player

Post by PHILLYCARD »

robbotis wrote:I agree, action is what sells.
There is nothing better than an action packed title match.
Especially heavyweights, cause those guys can hit.
But, they are to few and far between.
Why even bother wasting time on the HWT div. its awful. THe fights are terrible. THe Brock fight a couple weeks ago put me to sleep. At one time I had high hopes for Sam Peter but we all know what Wlad did to him. And Wlad is bad. Its just one train wreck after another. Give me two bad welterweights on Friday night fights before all that crap... Speaking of bad, would any of you guys actually pay to see Rahman fight on PPV? I mean, who would?

Grammar_Police
All-Star

Post by Grammar_Police »

PHILLYCARD wrote:Speaking of bad, would any of you guys actually pay to see Rahman fight on PPV? I mean, who would?

Oh yeah.

Rahman - Byrd

:slugasaurus:

:lol:

PHILLYCARD
Veteran Player

Post by PHILLYCARD »

Grammar_Police wrote:
PHILLYCARD wrote:Speaking of bad, would any of you guys actually pay to see Rahman fight on PPV? I mean, who would?

Oh yeah.

Rahman - Byrd

:slugasaurus:

:lol:
Hey Grammer, I dont even think Rahman's friends and family would pay for these two chumps...