thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by thrill »

Jocephus wrote:
November 2 21, 7:58 am
i hope khamzat's nickname is hazmat
Unfortunately, it is "the wolf."

For people who don't know this guy yet, he's a Chechen emigre to Sweden, so he's aligned with Ramzan Kadyrov and is part of his gross social experiment to create an entire national culture around MMA and homophobia. Lots of problematic dynamics around rooting for him, but he seems incredibly dumb and only cares about beating people up.

He has fought in the UFC 4 times. The combined total time of which is 7 minutes and 54 seconds. He had such a bad bout with COVID last year he almost died. This was his first fight back.

In those 4 fights he has taken precisely ONE strike (which was in his first fight). That means he has 4 ufc wins and has been touched by his oppnent's offense exactly one time. He has fought in two weight classes (welterweight/170 & middleweight/185). The latest any of his fights have gone is 3:16. The shortest was 17 seconds.

No one, not even Khabib, has started their career with this level of dominance. He makes veteran fighters who have dedicated their lives to combat sports look like they've never taken an MMA class in their life. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen in 20 years of watching the sport.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'd be happy if Dana was sent out to the pasture. What a stupid booking that'd be.

I'm actually curious what they do with Islam Makhachev at LW. Assuming Gaethje beats Chandler, I think Makhachev should get the loser of the Poirier/Oliveira fight. If Gaethje loses I won't mind Makhachev getting the shot. In that scenario, I think Beneil Dariush should fight the loser of the Poirier/Oliveira fight. Given Ferguson as turned in to a pumpkin, Dariush's win over him has lost a lot of luster. Another option for Dariush is Chandler.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Guys inevitable emerge as contenders, but I honestly don't think they should make Makhachev or Chimaev wait for a title shot too much longer, because a) they're clearly championship-caliber and b) if they run through too many other contenders before they win the belt, who are you excited about them matching up against for title defenses? To me, this is an Izzy situation. Get him his belt quick so you can match him up against the existing contenders before he cleans out the division ahead of schedule and you run out of logical matchup's that will draw PPV buys.

The last thing I want is Chimaev immediately calling out Izzy or Islam calling out the 170 belt holder just to find a payday. Chimaev actually seems like he could pull off the Amanda Nunes path of defending two belts relatively consistently, but I still prefer to see the natural weight class matchup's.

I just got really excited thinking about Chimaev vs Izzy, so I'm a little hypocritical on this issue, but I just see multiple prime time weight classes without compelling champions right now - lightweight, middle weight, and light heavyweight. That's not great for fans who want to see compelling matchups in title fights. If Poirier wins, I'll be legitimately excited to see him fight Makhachev. Everyone else? Meh. He already beat Gaethje. Chandler doesn't do much for me.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Chadler does nothing for me.

I really want Gaethje/Poirier bc they are two of my favorite fighters. Also, I think Gaethje is a completely different fighter since they last met so I think their previous fight doesn't matter much. Makhachev feels enviable and I suspect his reign will be kinda boring. I'm in no rush to see it.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I hope Paddy Pimblett gets put in front of a real fighter so I can watch him be force fed his teeth. My disdain for Dana White and boot licking army of sell out fighters who want to be social media influencers is at an all time high. *Not sure I'll watch another UFC event until Dana is gone.

*A Jon Jones-Francis Ngannou fight will be very hard for me to stay away from.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

thrill wrote:
December 13 22, 1:13 pm
IMy disdain for Dana White and his boot licking army of sell out fighters who want to be social media influencers is at an all time high.

Yeah, I’m all the way out. The woman he is assaulting is his wife.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

From too smart for medicine and probably played a role in thousands of deaths Joe Rogan, to the dipsiths I know who pursued it and the bro-cult gyms around here they went to, to McGregor's (consequenceless? he's selling me whiskey these days) bus attack and assorted legal scuffles, to these DA stories that come up often enough: the whole MMA culture seems pretty [expletive] to me.

I'm sorry if I sound like a soccer critic here zooming in on all the bad stuff. The truth is I'm not much for the sport, there's certainly some bias influencing my perspective. Does not seem like a good scene.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
January 3 23, 10:06 pm
From too smart for medicine and probably played a role in thousands of deaths Joe Rogan, to the dipsiths I know who pursued it and the bro-cult gyms around here they went to, to McGregor's (consequenceless? he's selling me whiskey these days) bus attack and assorted legal scuffles, to these DA stories that come up often enough: the whole MMA culture seems pretty [expletive] to me.

I'm sorry if I sound like a soccer critic here zooming in on all the bad stuff. The truth is I'm not much for the sport, there's certainly some bias influencing my perspective. Does not seem like a good scene.
In the way that our strengths are our weaknesses, I'm sure there's some baggage that comes with being someone willing to try and kick the [expletive] out of the best fighters on the planet. I don't follow it at all and I pretty much agree with you, but if someone made the argument that the culture is great and it's surprising that there isn't more nonsense given the group of people and how they're wired I could buy that too.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Jon Bois & Felix Biederman did a beautiful doc about social outsiders, alienation, and MMA culture by telling the story of MMA’s timeline. If you’ve seen any of Bois docs like the mariners one, etc, this was his first one.

https://youtu.be/5oNB6tlSZ2A

I don’t have much to say about it other than, it’s both more complicated than you might think at times, and at times it’s exactly a simple and toxic as you might think. Always a profound reflection of the role of traditional masculinity in the broader culture for better and worse (usually worse).

The sport itself (to me) is beautiful. It’s pure meritocracy. It’s contradicting nuances and it’s brutal simplicity. It is for people who can process the ugliness of the violence and often the culture, because it has the ability to reveal unbelievable human beauty and perseverance. The business side, however, has none of those contradictions. It’s just pure ugliness, and it’s pretty much entirely because of Dana White. It’s stunning to think about how disgusting a human being you have to be in order to make Jake Paul look like a white knight in contrast.

The things he is doing for fighter pay, empowerment, and free enterprise seemed silly at first, but he is actually pulling it off. It’s very impressive. The Dana White era should have ended when they sold to endeavor, but ego and greed…ya know. These guys never go out easy. They always make it a car crash.