MMA Thread II

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by thrill »

thrill wrote:
January 21 21, 12:03 pm
Conor is undoubtedly a bad person, but the build up to his fights, and the tension within between his boasts during the build up and whether or not he can deliver on those boasts in the octagon is some of the most compelling stuff in sports.
Update: he could not.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Everyone is talking about a McGregor decline, but people had forgotten just how good Poirier is. He's racked up a lot of impressive wins in the historically toughest division in MMA. I can't believe Poirier was a +300 dog going in to this fight. It felt more like a pick'em to me. When Poirier took McGregor down in the 1st I knew McGregor was in trouble. Poirier wasn't just going to brawl.

And as great as McGregor is, he's also a guy who struggled against Nate Diaz (at WW). It just feels like the LW division has gotten better and he really hasn't. For example, the calf kick in MMA is the new hotness, but McGregor didn't adjust. If I were McGregor I would consider switching camps. He's still got gas in the tank, but I think he needs to change things up.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Really all he needs to do is [expletive] or get off the pot with his fighting career.

SBG/Kavanaugh have plenty of active fighters who have dealt with the calf kick revolution. Conor didn't and his game is particularly predicated on using his front leg as his balance pivot within his striking. A calf kick can erase that in an instant (and did on Saturday night). SBG has tons of guys who still spar, who still grind in the gym, and push themselves and each other consistently. Conor just isn't part of that group because he's so wealthy and busy.

One clear and irrefutable truth about the fight game is that time diminishes every fighter - not just because they leave their athletic prime, but also, in cases like Conor's, they just make too much money to put in the work, especially as their athleticism and resilience diminishes and the likely outcome is eventually getting beat up by someone younger and hungrier. This is why Khabib walked away. It's not the team. You can have insane cardio with optimized VO2max or whatever techy crap the MacGregor team kept citing in his preparation, but perfect fitness on paper isn't the fitness that allows you to take the pain and keep walking forward without getting caught. A perfect example that comes to mind was Whitaker vs Romero 1. Whitaker's legs were completely dead. Beat to [expletive]. Whitaker kept bouncing as well he could, kept moving on it, and won that fight. Conor got sloppy and did nothing to slow down Poirier. Didn't adjust, kept circling in with his lead leg out front. Shawn O'Malley lost a leg when he rolled his ankle against Chito Vera and literally folded. This is the championship difference.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Which is the most devastating punch in UFC history?

Ngannou vs Overeem

Lewis vs Blaydes

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Nggannou has the hardest recroded punching power at the UFC performance center, but beyond the metrics, Frank just stiffens gigantic men in a way that I've never seen before. His KO punch of Cain Velasquez is a perfect example in that he barely made contact and one of the toughest dudes ever just hit the deck.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Stipe-Ngannou 2 this weekend. I like both guys but I hope Francis wins. I desperately want to see Ngannou-Jones for the belt.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Stipe is the most boring person ever so I'm rooting for Ngannou. That said, I'm a little surprised Ngannou is favored again.

Chandler getting a shot at the belt is some carney stuff.
Last edited by Michael on March 25 21, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I wish this weekend's card had more than 1 fight that I really want to see. Tough to justify the purchase. Tyron Woodley was washed three fights ago. Sean O'Malley is a clown.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Even the main event kind of sucks. It's either going to be a 1st/2nd round KO or a 5 rounder where Stipe lays on top of Ngannou. I can most def wait two weeks to watch this one on ESPN+.
Last edited by Michael on March 25 21, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.