MMA Thread II

A forum for non-baseball sports
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Michael »

thrill wrote: I don't know why I'm taking Stipe other than a feeling.
Deep inside the darkest parts of your soul, you're a Jones fanboy.

That's why.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Also, Raphael Assuncao vs. Cory Sandhagen match-up is a good nugget to keep an eye on. It wasn't on my radar until you mentioned it.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:
thrill wrote: I don't know why I'm taking Stipe other than a feeling.
Deep inside the darkest parts of your soul, you're a Jones fanboy.

That's why.
Yeah and I've always liked Stipe.

Another reason I don't want DC to win is that if he does, there's no way he fights Ngannou. He'll retire or try to get another fight with Bones, which will take forever to come together. I want Ngannou in another title fight.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Stipe may have the worst interview skills of any professional athlete in sports today. It really makes it difficult for me to root for the guy.

Also, I'm a rare DC fanboy.

Fair points about future match-ups.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Michael wrote:Great card this weekend. Unfortunately I'll be out of town so I'll miss it. Picks that will most certainly be wrong:

Cormier
Pettis
Romero

They are the betting favorites, so I'm not exactly going out on a limb here. That said, I think Diaz and Costa winning would be make some future match-ups more interesting. Particularly Costa so I'll be rooting for him. Although I'm not a sports gambler, I think Cormier's -145 betting line actually underrates his chances.
Lmao

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Super impressed with Costa's toughness. Turns out he's not just a living action figure. He's got serious grit.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'm super interested in the upcoming Whittaker v Adesanya fight. I'm rooting for Adesanya, but I have to favor Whittaker. This is a bit reductive, but I think Whittaker is basically a better/busier version of Gastelum. I think over a 5 round fight his pressure and work rate is going to give Adesanya a lot of problems. It also doesn't help that I really like Adesanya and I'm basically the black widow of MMA. Whittaker is a great guy too so seeing him win wouldn't be tragedy.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

These are two of my favorite fighters in the world and I'm excited but bummed that one of them has to lose.

I really don't know how to scout it. They both can eat serious shots. They're both elusive and master distance very well. We really have no idea how Adesanya is on the ground other than the brief scrambles he had with Gastelum in the 4th round where he almost got the triangle. Whittaker is an elite defensive grappler but I doubt either one of them are going to take it to the ground. If it's a stand up fight, it's hard to pick against Adesanya no matter who his opponent is.

I have no idea how to pick it. I want Adesanya to win because Whittaker's injury record and inactivity has held up the division pretty significantly over the last couple of years.

The UFC is lucky that headliner is so incredible because that card sucks. I like Iaquinta-Hooker as a PPV opener, but as the co-main? Pretty weak.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Great point about Whittaker holding up the division.

A point in Adesanya's favor is he gets better in every fight we see him in. I'm sure he's making adjustments after the Gastelum fight. On the other hand, it's possible Whittaker will have some ring rust. Particularly against a super creative fighter who can make awesome in-ring adjustments.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Interesting angle from Luke Thomas re: Whittaker's time off.