GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Not sure I liked that decision.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Jon looked great against DC (when he popped) and great against Gustafsson. He was dominant against Smith but not great. He's looked tentative and hittable against Santos and Reyes.

Is it motivation, PED's or lack thereof, age, or are the young aggressive guys just refusing to play his game and he's not adjusting to them well enough?

I don't know.

I agree with the decision. Texas still uses the old MMA rules which values "octagon control" more than the new rules. From an octagon control perspective, Jon was dominant. Reyes was backing up the entire time.

I'm starting to think that moving up to heavyweight would be a terrible idea for Jones. It's been a long time since he looked powerful at 205.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I swear if Khabib vs Tony gets delayed...

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

A lot is happening in MMA but it's all absurd and a bummer.

Jon Jones is back on house arrest after another DUI and Dana White is trying to put together fights on a "private island off the west coast."

Truly hilarious but bleak times for our wonderful, degenerate sport.

Khabib doing the smart thing and declining to fight means he's out until at least post-Ramadan, even if COVID gets a vaccine before then. Conor has no fight. The GOAT is once again afoul of the law. What a mess.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

The UFC is such a trash organization.

I gotta admit, the current 249 card is a banger, but there's no way I'm supporting that. I'll wait 2 weeks to watch it on ESPN+. I'm rooting hard for thug Rose. She might be my favorite fighter, male or female.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Probably time for Endeavor to have the conversation around when Dana White has outlived his usefulness. Bloody Elbow had a blog about DC taking over. I think there's some bridge-building that would need to be done, but I don't hate that idea.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

As a DC fanboy I'd love to see it.

As a DC fan I don't love to say it, but the UFC's youtube channel just released JJ's first fight and it's fun as hell. He's super raw but his rarefied skills and creativity are on display. His ascension was truly remarkable.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Young Jon Jones was like playing a video game on beginner mode after you've beaten it on expert. Just so far ahead of everybody. Also look at that: a 10.5 in reach advantage?! With that athleticism and raw strength? Good lord. People weren't ready.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

249 shouldn't happen, but I'm certainly going to look at the results. Ferguson vs Gaethje is going to be an awesome fight. I'm picking Ferguson, but I might take Gaethje when considering the spread. I'm rooting for Tony, but if I'm being honest, my hype for him skill wise as dulled a bit after re-watching at his previous match-ups. Obviously he's still a beast, but this is a huge test for him.