General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Is the just announced European Super League the 'Project Big Picture' talked about above? It's causing a firestorm in England today.

mtcefc
Everyday Player

Post by mtcefc »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
April 19 21, 8:17 am
Is the just announced European Super League the 'Project Big Picture' talked about above? It's causing a firestorm in England today.
I wish I was off work so I could keep up with it all. It is days like today that twitter was invented for.

Some are saying it is leverage so the "top/more established" teams can have a bigger slice of the champions league pie for future deals. Some are asking the authorities to call their bluff and ban teams/players that take part.

The scary part is the teams in England threatening to leave are the ones who earn a majority of the international tv rights and viewing figures so any league without Man U/Liverpool etc wouldn't be as attractive.

I suppose it is literally a game of poker with pretty much English football at stake.

I would love it if Liverpool got banned from the league though! :D

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Foreign investment runs rampant at big clubs/brands, foreign investors care more about profit and risk than tradition, 100+ years of tradition get trampled on. It's inevitable.

Clubs like PSG and Bayern being holdouts won't last forever. UEFA and FIFA are totally hypocritical and ineffectual as allies because they aren't anti-cartel monopoly, they're just anti-them not being the cartel monopoly. Globalization and capitalism make this inevitable. The sport will survive. The consumer will adjust. For every old english fan they lose, they gain hundreds of new ones in the US, China, and other markets.

This is basically the sport reaching peak exploitability as currently constructed, so the biggest brands are pushing out smaller brands so that they can have an even bigger share of the pie, history and tradition be damned. Stan Kroenke, Malcolm Glazer, John Henry, the Abu Dhabi royal family, and Russian oligarchs make even more money. Thank god! They needed it.

mtcefc
Everyday Player

Post by mtcefc »

This was just on tv in the pre show for the live game tonight.

https://twitter.com/HLTCO/status/1384208782364844032

Heard it compared to the NFL that have a big deal with Amazon Prime?

As long as there are people willing to go to the games in place of the people who boycott, they will probably go ahead.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

https://t.co/189ndGLN4H?amp=1

This is a great article from Brian Phillips at the ringer summing the situation up.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

thrill wrote:
April 19 21, 4:02 pm
https://t.co/189ndGLN4H?amp=1

This is a great article from Brian Phillips at the ringer summing the situation up.
That was great, and humorous, and somehow mentioned Tottenham Hotspur multiple times.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... boola_feed

British tabloid blames American owners John Henry (Red Sox/Liverpool), Stan Kroenke (LA Rams/Arsenal), and the Glazer family (Buccaneers/Manchester United).

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Kroenke is pissing off English soccer fans for being a greedy [expletive] stick and leaving a trail of destruction in his path to make more money? Who'd a thunk.

mtcefc
Everyday Player

Post by mtcefc »

It's ok, Boris Johnson has got our backs...…… #-o

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i dont know anything so fwiw