General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

FYI, we have another zoomer doing big things at Dortmund.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I can't see how the Bundesliga is going to resume its season, nor start the following season on time, given the news below.

Also, UEFA is set to make an announcement today about the completion of the Champions League.

Germany cancels Oktoberfest 2020 due to pandemic

Germany's iconic Oktoberfest, the world's largest beer festival, has been canceled this year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Every year, around 6 million people flock to the festival grounds in Munich, the capital of southern Germany's Bavaria state. This year, the annual festival was slated to run from Sept. 19 to Oct. 4.

Germany, which has more than 147,000 diagnosed cases of COVID-19, lifted some social distancing measures on Monday, but major events with large audiences remain banned until at least the end of August.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/coronavirus-u ... ories.html

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I won't pretend to know if and when the Bundesliga will resume this season, but playing games behind closed doors is a very different animal compared to a beer festival whose entire purpose is a large crowded gathering.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Well, my prediction on the resumption of the Bundesliga season was wrong. They plan to play games in a little over 2 weeks. I still don't see how this will work in anything less than perfect conditions.

The article below is pretty thorough and worth a read if you're a futbol fan.

Bundesliga 'ready to return on 9 May', says German Football League

Despite football being halted across the globe by the coronavirus pandemic with all major leagues and competitions suspended, the Bundesliga is now eager to return to action with plans to play spectator-free games in May.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52379825

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

All I get out of that last post is that some type of sport is about to come back. I'll finally have something to watch!!!

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

While I don't think Sergio Aguero speaks for all players, he seems to be in touch with a few of them.

Another player points out some of the practicality issues that could be encountered by new requirements on players.

Sergio Aguero: Players 'scared' about Premier League return

Players are "scared" about the prospect of returning to action amid the coronavirus pandemic, says Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero.

The Premier League is hoping to resume the season on 8 June, which would require players to be be back in full training by 18 May. Top-flight clubs will meet on Friday to discuss options for the restart.

"The majority of players are scared because they have children and families," said 31-year-old Aguero.

Brighton striker Glenn Murray says some proposed protocols around the Premier League's return to action, such as wearing face masks, are "farcical".

"Face masks is going to be off-putting; it is not going to be natural. People will be ripping them off in games," the 36-year-old said. "It is quite farcical. I understand why people are desperate to get football on. It has to be done in a sensible way and in the right time and in a way that is going to keep everyone safe. There will be ambulances at training and games. Is it fair to take those from the NHS? I don’t know.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52493894

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Football is set to return in Denmark.

It should also be noted that Bundesliga got pushed back a week, and could get pushed back again.

Denmark's Superliga to resume on 28 May behind closed doors

The top division of Danish football is scheduled to resume on 28 May, with matches played behind closed doors. The Superliga has been suspended since 9 March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/5262 ... ting-story

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Yeah the trends in Germany don't look good. I was really looking forward to them coming back.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Weston McKennie v Gio Reyna tomorrow morning in the return of the Bundesliga.

Or as a normal person would put it, Schalke vs Borussia Dortmund.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Reyna is starting. If you’re at all interested in seeing our next potential American superstar, it’s him.

Good profile on him:
https://www.espn.co.uk/football/borussi ... is-laundry