General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

Leo, I know you literally just fulfilled your destiny & shed a lifetime of pressure, but just sign your next deal already. I’m trying to find out if I’m going to make a bundle off these season tickets baby!

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

T-Mobile offering customers a free year of MLS Season Pass starting on Feb. 21st
Soccer fans, let's go! T-Mobile customers can soon experience MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV App on Us — the unprecedented subscription service bringing the action and excitement of Major League Soccer to the Apple TV app. MLS Season Pass ($99 annual value) features every live regular-season match, all MLS Cup playoff matches, and the Leagues Cup – all with no blackouts. Available for all T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers on Us beginning Feb. 21 in the T-Mobile Tuesdays app.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

They do the same thing for MLB. I've been using my friend's T Mobile to get MLB at bat for years.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

thrill wrote:
February 20 23, 8:43 am
They do the same thing for MLB. I've been using my friend's T Mobile to get MLB at bat for years.
Your friend must not need to use his phone very often.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

MLS kicks off this week and there is not a released plan for the playoffs. Sounds like 18/29 teams will qualify and the first round at least will be a best of three series. All of these things are stupid and weak. I won't be surprised if backlash kills this lame money grab.

Speaking of Bill Waterson (if elsewhere) this is Calvinball.
Last edited by BottenFieldofDreams on February 21 23, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
February 21 23, 12:27 pm
MLS kicks off this week and there is not a released plan for the playoffs. Sounds like 18/29 teams will qualify and the first round at least will be a best of three series. All of these things are stupid and weak. I won't be surprised if backlash kills this lame money grab.
MLS is in a position where their existing audience is diehard and will roll with changes, even if they hate them and their target audience doesn't care enough about the details to get up in arms about dumb rule changes from year to year.

I just want Messi to sign somewhere so I can know whether or not I'm going to make bank on these season tix.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Hopefully the SGs at least push back with some two sticks if not full tifo.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

18 teams is too many teams. But if we run with the previously reported assumption that part of the bargain with the Apple deal(which is a big financial win for the league) was more postseason inventory, they structured it in a way that hedges against most of the downsides. The last teams in have to play an extra play in game, which is competitively fair and adds some excitement. The first round being best of 3 hedges against teams that were 30 points better than their opponents getting eliminated by a 90 minute bunker, and the best of 3 is probably preferable to stuff like away goals and the static first leg of 2 leg ties. Only having one best of 3 round preserves elimination excitement in the later rounds and keeps the whole thing from becoming a slog like the NBA and NHL postseasons can be at times. Not how I would draw it up, but given the likely constraints of the situation I think it's a decent outcome.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

The best of three will also give legs to the best teams who keep getting upset possibly because they are cold from byes. But I'd definitely prefer home and away to best of three. There going to be a [expletive] ton of shootouts, which suck.

It all seems pretty Mickey Mouse to me. And I say this as Mickey Mouse Cup 2020 champion. I'm not a Euro snob or anything, and maybe there's just nothing to do for it, but the continued devaluation of the Shield is a bummer.

What if fans just start a gofundme for Apple and owners? Then can we have some kind of sporting end to the season?