General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

I get the feeling there will be some residual interest after the World Cup, so let's talk non-World Cup soccer here.

Starting it off I'll post some of the latest Landon rumors.

Everton wants him:
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/f ... -BACK.html
The American forward scored an injury-time winner against Algeria to send USA into the last 16 in South Africa.

And Donovan, who scored twice in a three-month loan spell at Everton last season, is back on David Moyes' radar, with the Scot hoping to seal a permanent deal for the 28-year-old.

Moyes wanted to keep Donovan for longer but LA Galaxy ruled out a move - although the Toffees boss is determined to get him again.

Donovan became a fans' favourite on Merseyside when he moved there last January and claimed he would be open to joining Everton again.

MLS side LA Galaxy are determined to keep hold of Donovan again and if Moyes can't persuade them to let him go permanently, he will ask for a loan deal similar to the one arranged last season.

An insider at Goodison said: "The manager was really impressed with Landon and tried to keep him at the club.

"There's always a chance of him coming back but it's a question of what LA Galaxy want."
He's also a main target of the world's biggest spenders:

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world- ... 62710.html
Yahoo! Sports has learned that English Premier League team Manchester City has identified Donovan as one of its top targets in the gigantic summer spending spree by owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a member of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.
Man City sent a scout to watch Donovan “in all four games” that the American played during the World Cup, according to a source who is familiar with the team’s player acquisition dealings. Another source close to the club confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that there is “significant interest” in Donovan.
If recent rumors are true, he'll have pretty good reason to get back to England:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/s ... ?eref=sihp
RUSTENBURG, South Africa (SI.com) -- U.S. midfielder Landon Donovan scored a goal for the Americans in their 2-1 defeat to Ghana on Saturday that eliminated the U.S. from the World Cup.
But Donovan has more on his mind right now than the U.S. loss. SI.com has learned that a British tabloid is set to run a story in which a U.K. woman says she is pregnant with Donovan's child.
Donovan has been separated for nearly a year from his wife, actress Bianca Kajlich, though they are not yet legally divorced. They have no children.
"I was informed of the possibility during the World Cup, and if I need to take responsibility, then I will provide the appropriate support," Donovan told SI.com. "This is a private matter and I will refrain from further comment at this time."

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by Richie Allen »

Probably a stupid question, Thrill, but where can I start watching soccer? I've always wanted to get interested (and there's nothing like watching it in a pub in Ireland or the UK) and I'm warming to the World Cup, despite US's defeat, but I'm not sure where to start watching professional soccer.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Richie Allen wrote:Probably a stupid question, Thrill, but where can I start watching soccer? I've always wanted to get interested (and there's nothing like watching it in a pub in Ireland or the UK) and I'm warming to the World Cup, despite US's defeat, but I'm not sure where to start watching professional soccer.
Fox Soccer Channel and GOL TV are available on most satellite and cable platforms. ESPN plays one MLS, Engligh Premier League and Spainish La Liga game a week. They also carry most of the US games although occasionally some are on Fox Soccer Channel.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

thrill wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:Probably a stupid question, Thrill, but where can I start watching soccer? I've always wanted to get interested (and there's nothing like watching it in a pub in Ireland or the UK) and I'm warming to the World Cup, despite US's defeat, but I'm not sure where to start watching professional soccer.
Fox Soccer Channel and GOL TV are available on most satellite and cable platforms. ESPN plays one MLS, Engligh Premier League and Spainish La Liga game a week. They also carry most of the US games although occasionally some are on Fox Soccer Channel.
I found it best to have a friend who is a lifelong le football fan (he's from Toulouse) to meet at the bar and watch EPL games and the UEFA Cup and whatnot.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

I get my soccer fix by watching/recording the MLS Thursday games along with whatever Premier League games they show on ESPN once a week. If you are looking for a little more, there's usually a place online where you can get some in-depth highlights.

The Fox Soccer Channel and GOL TV are good if you're a die hard soccer fan or want to become one, but if you're only mildly interested I'd try seeing how you like the few games that ESPN shows every week to see if it's worth it.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

ATDHE.net shows a lot of soccer for free.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

I'm excited Portland is getting a team, but I have to worry if the MLS failing to learn from one of NASL's mistakes by expanding too quickly. Only one or two teams are making money. If Los Angeles can't even make money, you have to wonder if it's time for aggressive expansion.

I was surprised to read that only four members of the 2010 World Cup squad play in MLS.

Thrill suggested so in the other thread, is there interest in Bob Bradley overseas?

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

MrSaigon wrote:I'm excited Portland is getting a team, but I have to worry if the MLS failing to learn from one of NASL's mistakes by expanding too quickly. Only one or two teams are making money. If Los Angeles can't even make money, you have to wonder if it's time for aggressive expansion.

I was surprised to read that only four members of the 2010 World Cup squad play in MLS.

Thrill suggested so in the other thread, is there interest in Bob Bradley overseas?
I actually think that 4/18 was one of the highest percentages of domestic players in the Cup, or at least those who made the knockout stage.

jeffbgoofy
All-Star

Post by jeffbgoofy »

This is my son's forst year at playing club soccer with Lou Fusz, could be very interesting...

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

MrSaigon wrote: Thrill suggested so in the other thread, is there interest in Bob Bradley overseas?
That's the scuttlebutt. I know he has a lot of contacts and relationships in the Dutch and Swedish leagues. That would be a great place to start.
MrSaigon wrote:I'm excited Portland is getting a team, but I have to worry if the MLS failing to learn from one of NASL's mistakes by expanding too quickly. Only one or two teams are making money. If Los Angeles can't even make money, you have to wonder if it's time for aggressive expansion.
This is the line they fed the player's union and public during collective bargaining negotiations. The reality is that due to the single entity nature of the ownership (guys don't actually own the teams, they own shares in the league) and the fact that MLS ownership is part of ownership in Soccer United Marketing, they are making plenty of money. The MLS owners make money from European club friendlies, TV rights for MLS, the USMNT, the Mexican National Team (the most popular team in our country) and pretty much everything else soccer-related in this country. They are making bank from SUM.

Also, the 4 MLS players is a misleading stat. Every player on that team with the exception of Steve Cherundolo, Benny Feilhaber and Jay DeMerit are MLS products. Steve Cherundolo and Feilhaber went straight to Germany from College and DeMerit actually was part of the Chicago Fire developmental team when he went to England. Everyone else started in the league. MLS is doing it's job, developing the American player to an international level.