General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

Buried in an article on the Athletic's Newcastle FC coverage was this gem:
https://theathletic.com/1301597/2019/10 ... es-attack/
Sources across the Atlantic described the mood inside the USA camp as “disconsolate” after the game. This latest loss added to the sense of drift that has afflicted a team who failed to qualify for last year’s World Cup finals and who are yet to find their identity after almost 12 months under coach Gregg Berhalter.

“It’s not exactly a great environment around the team at the moment,” said one source. In fact, the verdict was that Yedlin would be “excited” to return to Newcastle duty following a troubling 10 days with his national team.
Grrrrrrreat. Quick reminder: the head coach, who should've had an incredibly easy act to follow in terms of building optimism and a positive culture, is already failing but don't worry, his brother is about to be named CEO so I'm sure he'll be held accountable.

I keep thinking back to the story of Carlos Bocanegra walking into the players meeting before the USSF president vote and convincing them to reject populist candidates like Martino and elect Cordero.

[expletive] him for that. [expletive] them for listening to a boss during such a key negotiation. Cordero sucks, Berhalter(s) sucks, and without the women's cult of personality, they'd be seen for the abject failures they are.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Speaking of Athletic gems, Amy Lawrence held back no punches re Emery's time at Arsenal after their humiliating loss @ Sheffield United.
Emery looks like a man with a giant bunch of keys desperately trying all of them to see if one will unlock the damned door before trouble arrives.

Towards the latter end of the Arsene Wenger era the manager was accused of doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. The overall stasis has continued under Emery but in a contrasting way. He tries different things over and over again but the end result is pretty similar. Or as this season’s numbers would have it, it looks as results are getting worse.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

CALL ME CRAZY MAYBE PULISIC SHOULD PLAY MORE

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Before sunday he was already top 10 xG/90 in the league. He's their best attacking winger and possibly best attacking player, full stop. He's been doing fine going through a necessary process, but I'm just glad that this will calm the panic and rhetoric from fans and media while he continues to become integral to Lampard's plans.

The big change from the first few games and now, is that he seems to know exactly what his manager wants from him, so now his talent and drive can take it from here. That's all you can ask from a coach and a player.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Against all odds, Sergino Dest has formally declared for the US over the Netherlands and I for one, am [expletive] pumped. He has some serious, serious potential.

You can make an argument that we have more higher end talent at big European clubs than any country in the western hemisphere except Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay and yet our senior team looks worse than it has since the 80's. I miss Bob Bradley so damn much. Can we just make him emperor of US Soccer and fire literally everyone else?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I thought I read that Dest had gotten the cold shoulder the Dutch.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

lukethedrifter wrote:I thought I read that Dest had gotten the cold shoulder the Dutch.
Who knows, really, but Ronald Koeman claimed he'd refused multiple recent call up's.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

thrill wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I thought I read that Dest had gotten the cold shoulder the Dutch.
Who knows, really, but Ronald Koeman claimed he'd refused multiple recent call up's.
Was probably an older article but I’m pretty sure Dest said he hadn’t heard from them. Anyway, good for US.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

thrill wrote:Against all odds, Sergino Dest has formally declared for the US over the Netherlands and I for one, am [expletive] pumped. He has some serious, serious potential.

You can make an argument that we have more higher end talent at big European clubs than any country in the western hemisphere except Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay and yet our senior team looks worse than it has since the 80's. I miss Bob Bradley so damn much. Can we just make him emperor of US Soccer and fire literally everyone else?
That’s fantastic news! The Dutch never really gave Dest the opportunity he needed to latch on with him.

Frankly, the US squad has been playing like a bunch of college kids who gather to play quidditch on the quad every Saturday and then a professor comes out and says, “here is a book on organic chemistry, study it this afternoon because you have to take a test in calculus Sunday morning at 13 o’clock.” So, they study the chemistry, flunk the calculus test because they couldn’t figure out when 13 in the morning was, and then get mad because all they wanted to do was play quidditch.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

33anda3rd wrote:CALL ME CRAZY MAYBE PULISIC SHOULD PLAY MORE
BUMP