General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
July 7 21, 3:19 pm
Scored in the final few minutes of the first part of extra time! Harry Kane! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Soft, soft PK. I can't decide if I like seeing England break their curse or not. I'd root for them over Italy anyway.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I think everyone who dives to cheat a penalty is pretty rotten, but England are far from the worst offenders. Looks like I'm off to the Amsterdam Tavern on Saturday to watch the final.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Famous Mortimer wrote:
July 7 21, 3:53 pm
I think everyone who dives to cheat a penalty is pretty rotten, but England are far from the worst offenders. Looks like I'm off to the Amsterdam Tavern on Saturday to watch the final.
I'll guess in nearly 70 years of not making a final England has been dealt worse calls than that. It wasn't even really a dive as I saw it, but just two guys playing soccer--very harsh penalty.

Have fun at the final. If any Americans give you grief, just ask how well we did in the 2018 World Cup.

popcornmegaphone
Single A Minor League Player

Post by popcornmegaphone »

Greetings from NorCal

GDI Southgate. Why so much Sterling love?!?
Rashford and/or Sancho should have been on much sooner during extra time. AAArgh!

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

World Cup qualifying final round kicks off tonight and I have been absolutely worthless at work all day. English language broadcast is Paramount+ only because CBS are [expletive].

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

The NWSL is going through some serious... stuff right now. Yeesh.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

mikechamp wrote:
October 1 21, 2:12 pm
The NWSL is going through some serious... stuff right now. Yeesh.
Real bad. Waiting for more details to come out, but ownership and management in Portland (same for Thorns and Timbers) don't look good and it could get worse. They did an investigation and fired the guy--good. But somehow he continued to work in the league. How?

BrntOrngStud
Veteran Player

Post by BrntOrngStud »

Let's beat Panama today. Would make qualifcation a little easier with a win today. This squad is very talented (and young), so I don't expect them to make much noise in 2022 but when we host in 2026, this could easily be a team that makes it to the semi's.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

As someone who has a daughter, it's a really exciting time for women's soccer in the United States. This announcement was made 3 weeks ago, but I forgot to post it here.
USL announces new professional women's soccer league: USL Super League

The United Soccer League (USL) will create a professional Division II women's league, the USL Super League, starting in 2023, it was announced Tuesday. The new professional league will sit under the National Women's Soccer League, which remains the sole women's league in the U.S. with the Division I designation from the U.S. Soccer Federation.

At present, there is also no system of promotion/relegation either with the NWSL or within the USL's women's soccer structure. Another women's league not affiliated with the USL, the Women's Premier Soccer League, remains a competition for amateur players.

The USL said in a statement that the league's compensation structure and professional standards will be consistent with the USL men's professional leagues, and that it expected double the number of professional women's soccer teams in the United States when the inaugural season begins.

The USL women's pathway includes the Girls Super Y League, the Girls USL Academy, the women's preprofessional USL W League which kicks off next year, and the women's professional USL Super League. The USL Super League will apply for Division II sanctioning from U.S. Soccer in the coming months.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/usl-champio ... per-league
I wonder if St. Louis will get a team. So far, there are a lot of teams in the USL W League that aren't in St. Louis. :rant:

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Dear sweet merciful creator. I'm the guy off screen peeing my pants in 216.