Benchwarmer Baseball

A forum for non-baseball sports
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Benchwarmer Baseball

Post by pioneer98 »

GeddyWrox wrote:What happens if you have player X who gets traded and essentially plays a second game #100? Do you get all his stats from both games for that game #?
Good question....had to look it up. They'd use the first game #100 the guy played and ignore the 2nd one.

You could also have a situation where a guy is traded from a team that played, say, 96 games, to a team that's played 100. You'd miss out on the games in the gap.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I just traded Jeurys Familia and some cash for Alex Bregman...hope I don't regret that.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Interesting format, btw!

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I like it because there are similar decisions to be made to what GMs actually make in real life. I also like the year round format. It gives me a little of a baseball fix in the offseason.

Next season I'll probably cut back the # of teams I have. He gave me a deal on some this year which is why I have so many.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Just traded David Dahl for Jorge Alfaro and Michael Feliz.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I guess there are worse situations that my teams could be in.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

We are at the point where we know the salaries for next year and have to decide which 28 players to keep. I have one team that is just in insanely good shape to go and make some big signings or trades. That team has: Aledmys Diaz, Addison Russell, Rougned Odor, Michael Conforto, Kyle Schwarber, and Vince Velasquez. All those guys were signed to contract extensions for cheap. I also extended Trumbo, and avoided a huge salary increase after his big season. Long story short: this team wlll have like $19M to spend. For context, the top salaries are normally around $10M (Kershaw). Really good players like Arenado or Goldschmidt are around $6M. I'll have to figure out how to acquire a few guys like this. Another team is almost in as good a shape. They will have $16M to spend, but are starting from a slightly lower floor.

The team that is in the worst shape does not have the crazy young talent that some of my other teams have, and will only have $9M to spend. It has a great top of the rotation in Scherzer, Quintana and Keuchel but their lineup needs help. If I can't quite turn this team around then it's probably time to trade Scherzer for young talent and start over. I almost traded Scherzer at the deadline last season, but the team making the offer just didn't have many prospects. The other 2 teams are somewhere between this one and the ones above.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This is the most interesting time of year for this Benchwarmer league. The new salaries are out, and we also have our cap money. We have to cut our teams down to 28 players by Christmas. So this is when tons of trades happen as teams short on money try to at least get something out of players they may be forced to cut. Also, the positions of the players have been updated. So for example, Brandon Belt used to be an OF/1B. Now he can only play 1B. So I have no use for him anymore. So here are some trades that just happened that you might find interesting:

Justin Upton for $500K (plus taking on his $3300K salary)....a simple salary dump by the team that let him go
Starlin Castro for Melky Cabrera
Brandon Belt for Kenta Maeda and Domingo Santana
Jean Segura for Yangervis Solarte and Ketel Marte
Jean Segura for Adam Wainwright and Tommy Joseph
Addison Reed and $1000K for Jung Ho Kang
Addison Russell for Evan Longoria and $750K

What this doesn't show is the salary differences. The reason the return is so wildly different on Segura is because in one scenario, the team trading him freed up about $1600K in salary to spend in other ways. In the other trade, the salaries were closer to a wash.

In the Russell for Longoria trade and the Reed for Kang trade, there was a big difference in salary, so some money had to be thrown in to make it more even. In both, the team taking on the more expensive player got the money. It's like agreeing to take on part of their salary, basically.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

After all teams have been cut down to 28 or fewer players, there is a "redistribution draft". It's designed to try to help the worst teams. Each team gets up to 3 picks per round, with worst team picking first. I don't like to rely on that. You just don't know what players will be available, especially if you are picking late. So I try to have my starting position players set before that. I might leave an opening in the OF, if I didn't have 3 worth keeping. I may leave an open spot in the rotation if I didn't have enough worth keeping. And I only usually keep 3 or 4 relief pitchers (you need 5). So the 28 players that I keep usually breaks down like:
12 position players (you need 14)
6 starting pitchers (you need 7)
4 relief pitchers (you need 5)
6 prospects (defined as salary < $250K - these can be guys in the minors, or who just graduated)

Another thing is that if you have more than $5000K in cash heading into the season, you just lose anything above that. So if you have $6000K, you lose $1000K to get knocked down to the $5000K limit. They do this so teams just don't hoard it and use it to extend the contracts of like their whole team. So if you have a ton of cash, you are just about forced to spend it. In leagues where teams are really good about extending contracts before players get expensive, this can be hard.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The offseason cuts were made to get down to 28 players or less, then we did the "redistribution draft". Worst record picks first, and teams get to pick 3 players per round It's designed to give bad teams a big chance to improve).

Two of my teams I had set up pretty well with trades and only had to fill small holes with that draft. Then I had 3 teams where their position players were pretty much set via trades, but I left a slot and cash for an ace pitcher. I was gambling that at least one would become available. In one league, no aces became available. The best that team could do was Matt Shoemaker. Yuck. In the next league, Bumgarner & Cueto both became available, but teams ahead of mine in the draft got them. So instead I used that money to sign Jeff Samardzija and Justin Upton. That was still a decent upgrade. The last of those 3 teams ended up getting Rick Porcello. OK.

The last team is an enigma. They have Scherzer/Quintana/Keuchel at the front of their rotation and Jose Abreu at 1B. Those 4 guys are very good but cost half of my cash. I had 5 players contract extended from last year (salaries already paid for), so it is more like 9 players cost me half of my cash. I put the little extra money I had into Upton and Salvador Perez to upgrade OF and C. But I had to trade Jean Segura because he got way too expensive. I traded for Moustakas. Moustakas is cheap because he's coming off injury. Hoping for a bounce back. To do all this, I had to sacrifice my bullpen, and I'm afraid I just moved the hole in my lineup from 3B to 2B (relying on Wong or Yangervis Solarte for 2B). The bullpen now only has 2 proven MLB guys, and 3 rookies. But the bullpen is the easiest thing to fix during the season, like in real life. If this team is out of it, I'll probably trade Scherzer for prospects at the deadline.