Benchwarmer Baseball

A forum for non-baseball sports
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Benchwarmer Baseball

Post by pioneer98 »

I have a fantasy team that has a team batting average of .197. Here are the guilty parties:

Kendrys Morales: .225
Dexter Fowler: .218
Aledmys Diaz: .218
Evan Longoria: .200
Mark Trumbo: .200
Russell Martin: .200
Rougned Odor: .194
Kyle Schwarber: .190
Tommy Joseph: .187
Danny Espinosa: .160

Schwarber, Longoria and Trumbo have to turn it around at some point, right?

If one of your starters sits out and you also don't have a sub that played that day that can cover that starter's position, then you get an 0 for 5 in your lineup in that spot. The average would probably be slightly over .200 but a couple of those brought it down lower.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

One of my teams is 8-20, despite having the best offense of any of my teams. It's mostly due to terrible luck.
1) The offense exploded in 2 games and scored like 17 runs each time. Take those 2 games away and the offense is pretty average. It's just bad luck that all that offense was combined into 2 games. All their players are on different teams, so it was just random.
2) They've drawn several ridiculous opposing pitcher performances. The latest was a CGSO by Scott Feldman. They also drew the CGSO by Ivan Nova. It's hard enough to win when the other teams' aces pitch like aces.
3) They've also lost 4 really close games, by less than 0.2 runs. Normally those are a coin flip, but all have broken against them.

We're not even talking about injury luck or anything like that. Just the randomness of the game and schedule has been incredibly unlucky. With an average amount of luck this team could easily be .500, maybe higher. This team *should* rebound but we'll see.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

pioneer98 wrote:One of my teams is 8-20, despite having the best offense of any of my teams. It's mostly due to terrible luck.
1) The offense exploded in 2 games and scored like 17 runs each time. Take those 2 games away and the offense is pretty average. It's just bad luck that all that offense was combined into 2 games. All their players are on different teams, so it was just random.
2) They've drawn several ridiculous opposing pitcher performances. The latest was a CGSO by Scott Feldman. They also drew the CGSO by Ivan Nova. It's hard enough to win when the other teams' aces pitch like aces.
3) They've also lost 4 really close games, by less than 0.2 runs. Normally those are a coin flip, but all have broken against them.

We're not even talking about injury luck or anything like that. Just the randomness of the game and schedule has been incredibly unlucky. With an average amount of luck this team could easily be .500, maybe higher. This team *should* rebound but we'll see.
This is why I hate H2H leagues.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

One of my teams started the season 13-28. Since then they've gone 31-12. The biggest changes were:
Cut A-Gonz and signed Betances to fix the bullpen
Cut Pujols and signed Smoak, who is having a huge season
That's it. That, and Correa went on a tear around that time. He's on the DL now, so we'll see if this can continue.

This team is set up great for next year. These are the players who are already signed for next year, meaning no more money will need to be spent on them until 2019:
Correa
Bregman
Robbie Ray
David Peralta
Alex Cobb
Smoak
Foltynewicz
Marwin Gonzalez
Kintzler

Peralta and Cobb were both hurt last year, so their salaries were really low and extending their contracts was cheap.

This team also has these prospects:
Austin Meadows
Francis Martes
Franklin Barreto
Austin Slater
Carson Kelly
Reese McGuire
Cory Sedlock

Some of these guys have already played some in MLB this year, but I did not extend their contracts because they won't play enough for their salaries to be very expensive next year. I'll extend them next year for 2019 if they become regulars.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The team that I took over that lost 100 games last year still sucks, mainly due to zero pitching. But because they've had the worst record they've had the top pick each week of all the free agents. So I've been grabbing all the top prospects as they become available. I inherited 3 of these guys from the previous owner but the others were all signed this year. The number in parenthesis is either their current MLB.com rank, or their rank when they got called up:

Yoan Moncada (1)
Rafael Devers (4)
Brendan Rogers (9)
Kyle Tucker (10)
Francis Martes (12)
Ozzie Albies (19)
Hunter Greene (21)
Franklin Barreto (37)
Mike Soroka (38)
Jack Flaherty (53)
Austin Slater (56)
Jesse Winker (64)

So, yeah, I think there is hope for this team. It's almost stupid that Hunter Greene is their 7th best prospect.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Updated:
Yoan Moncada (1)
Rafael Devers (4)
Brendan Rogers (9)
Kyle Tucker (10)
Francis Martes (12)
Ozzie Albies (19)
Hunter Greene (21)
Alex Verdugo (27)
Franklin Barreto (37)
Mike Soroka (38)
Jack Flaherty (53)
Austin Slater (56)
Jesse Winker (64)
Rhys Hoskins (69)

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

There are 3 games left in our regular season (had a delay because the main guy went on vacation for 2 weeks). I have 4 teams still alive:
- One clinched their division
- One has a 3 game lead, so they clinched a tie. But the last 3 games are against the 2nd place team.
- One is tied for first, with the last 3 games against the team they are tied with.
- One is tied for first, with the last 3 games against a different team.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

haha all 4 of them won their divisions

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Haha all four of them won their conference playoff round and advanced to the league championship round. One of them swept and the other three won game 7's to advance. One of them was down 3-1 and won 3 straight.

They have a 2nd place tournament with the 4 second place teams, and a "bottom feeder" tournament for the bottom 8 teams in the league. My team that had the worst record in the league (53-97) made it to the finals of the bottom feeder. Those series are only best of 3 though so probably more volatile. My other 2 teams were eliminated.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

In the finals, only 1 of the 4 teams won. They won 4-2. I had another team lose in game 7. Then one team lost 4-1 and the last one got swept. The team that only had 53 wins won that bottom feeder finals 3-1 (best of 5).

Next is the Benchwarmer Bash. This is a tournament among all the league champions plus a few wild cards. They keep playing best of 7's using random games from the 2nd half until 1 team is left standing. My 1 team that won their league advanced to that tournament (none of my other ones got a wild card, sadly).