Benchwarmer Baseball

A forum for non-baseball sports
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Benchwarmer Baseball

Post by pioneer98 »

Last year my best team was in a division with an even better team and lost the division by 1 game. Benchwarmer does a power ranking of all the teams in all leagues. My team was #80 in the entire thing, and the other team was #66. To try to go over the top of this other powerhouse I traded for Javier Baez this offseason. The lineup now:

C Carson Kelly
1B Carlos Santana
2B Ketel Marte
3B Alex Bregman
SS Javier Baez
OF Christian Yelich
OF Michael Conforto
OF Max Kepler
DH Alex Verdugo
Bench: Franklin Barreto, Jake Lamb, Jurickson Profar, Mike Zunino, Brandon Nimmo

Rotation:
Chris Sale
Trevor Bauer
Mike Soroka
Robbie Ray
Brandon Woodruff
Spot Starters: Griffin Canning, Kolby Allard

Bullpen:
Hansel Robles
Matt Strahm
Josh Taylor
Brad Wieck
Ray Black
Sam Coonrod

Minor Leaguers:
Dylan Carlson
Ke'Bryan Hayes
Nolan Gorman
Grayson Rodriguez
Jesus Sanchez
Jonathan India

For the bullpen I always go for high K guys that are young and cheap. Pitchers with a ton of saves get expensive. I try to get the guys before they have that season with 30+ saves. Then I either trade them or contract extend them.

I have 10 teams in different leagues. This is my best team. I have 3 or 4 others that are pretty good. Then I have some that really suck that were abandoned by a previous owner that I took over and I'm trying to rebuild. I have one team that has been an enigma that I've never been able to turn around going on 4 years. Last year I finally got their position players in pretty good shape, but the starting rotation totally fell apart. I acquired a bunch of pitchers this offseason so I'm hoping this is finally their year.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Along with young, high K relievers, another type of player that I think people undervalue is a guy like Eric Hosmer, Kyle Seager or Shin-Soo Choo. No, these are not players you build a team around. But they play every day and put up slightly above average numbers. They are great for plugging holes in a lineup that already has a few stars. People will almost give these players away because they are kinda expensive and I guess they don't feel they are worth it. Carlos Santana kind of fits that mold, too, but he had a really good 2019.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Might want to take a look at that starting pitching staff, pioneer98. Sale is going to start the season on the DL, and now Canning is going for an MRI on his elbow.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

mikechamp wrote:
February 27 20, 1:24 pm
Might want to take a look at that starting pitching staff, pioneer98. Sale is going to start the season on the DL, and now Canning is going for an MRI on his elbow.
Thanks for the heads up

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

pioneer98 wrote:
February 27 20, 6:59 pm
mikechamp wrote:
February 27 20, 1:24 pm
Thanks for the heads up
News isn't getting any better on Canning. From MLB Trade Rumors:
The Angels announced that Canning’s MRI revealed “chronic changes to the UCL and acute joint irritation” in his right elbow. No immediate treatment or timetable was provided, as the organization has scheduled further tests and evaluation over the “next couple days.”