Re: The NCAA

Post by docellis »

i like it

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

pioneer98 wrote:Northwestern football players can unionize, NLRB rules
Northwestern University football players are employees of the school and are therefore entitled to a union election, Peter Sung Ohr, the regional director of the National Labor Relations Board, said in a ruling released Wednesday afternoon.

Ohr's decision is expected to be appealed to the NLRB in Washington. Labor experts say an election is unlikely to take place until the NLRB makes a decision. If Ohr's decision is upheld, the case would likely make its way through federal appellate court and could reach the Supreme Court.

The decision is "revolutionary for college sports," said Robert McCormick, a professor emeritus at Michigan State University College of Law who focuses on sports and labor law.
Alan Cubbage, Vice President for University Relations at Northwestern, said in a statement they were disappointed in the decision.

"While we respect the NLRB process and the regional director's opinion, we disagree with it," the university said. "Northwestern believes strongly that our student-athletes are not employees, but students. Unionization and collective bargaining are not the appropriate methods to address the concerns raised by student-athletes."

Northwestern confirmed that it plans to appeal to the full National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C. "We believe that participation in athletic events is part of the overall educational experience for those students, not a separate activity," NU said.

Different school but relevant.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/video?vid= ... rc=desktop

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I'm excited about where this may all go.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This guy was a "tutor" that basically took online courses for a hundreds of college athletes over 14 years. For a lot of them he'd help them in high school or at a JUCO to get them eligible to go to a D1 campus. Once they were accepted by the D1 school, they were handed off to the pros on campus responsible for this kind of thing lol.

Another extremely telling this is that he started doing this because he thought it would help him get a job working for a D1 program. He had really made a name for himself amongst parents and coaches.

Confessions of a fixer: How one former coach perpetuated a scheme that benefitted hundreds of college athletes

lol:
“We’ve seen some students who say, ‘I don’t know how I got that grade. I didn’t even know I was enrolled in that course,’” Mr. Duncan says.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Another question said: “A farmer was asked by a passing stranger how many chickens and how many goats he had. He answered that his animals had 62 eyes and 90 legs. How many of each did he have?”

should not be used as a super easy math problem.

/it's been awhile

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

lukethedrifter wrote:Another question said: “A farmer was asked by a passing stranger how many chickens and how many goats he had. He answered that his animals had 62 eyes and 90 legs. How many of each did he have?”

should not be used as a super easy math problem.

/it's been awhile
[SHOW]
17 chickens and 14 goats. 62 eyes/ 2 eyes per animal = 31 animals total. An even distribution means an average of 3 legs per animal (4 legs for a goat, 2 for a chicken, 6 legs per 2 animals), which adds up to 93, meaning uneven distribution that favors chickens (aka they outnumber the goats). The 93 - 90 = 3 extra legs that don't exist (meaning 3 extra chickens). Ergo, the chicken count is 3 more than the goat count. After that, take the 31 (total # of animals), subtract 3 (the extra chickens), and end up with 28 evenly distributed. 28 / 2 = 14 of each. Add the 3 extra chickens and get 17 chickens to go with 14 goats.
After typing all that, I think I'm starting to get Common Core.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

That's the way I would have done it today. But I feel like there is an algebraic to do it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

why doesn't the farmer just answer the [expletive] question

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

Maybe he's tired of city folk asking him about whether his animals are organic or not. Alternatively, he's screwing around with a city slicker who may or may not think his education makes him better than a simple farmer.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

lukethedrifter wrote:That's the way I would have done it today. But I feel like there is an algebraic to do it.
It took a while but I figured it out:
[SHOW]
x = chickens, y = goats
(x + y) 2 = 62
x + y = 31

2x + 4y = 90
x + 2y = 45
x + 2y - 2y = 45 - 2y
x = 45 - 2y

45 - 2y + y = 31
45 - y = 31
45 - y + y = 31 + y