The NCAA

A forum for non-baseball sports
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: The NCAA

Post by lukethedrifter »

Exactly. Not a problem Alan Turing would have struggled with but hardly a good example of a piece of cake algebra problem.

Solid work btw

I'm kind of aggravated that I didn't eventually figure that out.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I did it all in my head and got it on the second guess. If anyone knows how I can turn this useless talent into money let me know.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

cardsfansince82 wrote:I did it all in my head and got it on the second guess. If anyone knows how I can turn this useless talent into money let me know.
How close do you live to a Division I university?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I feel like that's a pretty simple algebraic problem. Figuring out how to apply the principles could be more straightforward, but isn't the point of learning the principles being able to apply them in real life. Rarely, if ever, are you given a problem that looks like this:
[SHOW]
2x+4y=90 and 2x+2y=62.
So, part of learning needs to be to do this
[SHOW]
x=chickens y=goats
2 eyes/chicken 2 eyes/goat
4legs/goat
2legs/chicken
2x+2y=62
2x+4y=90
x=(62-2y)/2
Replace x in either of the equations.
62-2y+4y=90
y=14
x=17
I think the thing I remember most about algebra is the first part of it....how many unknowns do you have and how many equations can you make. If they are equal, you can figure it out, if not, then you can't. In most all academic problems, the answer has to be available so it just becomes figuring out how to make the equations. In a rather large amount of real life problems, the answer isn't available with the given information.....

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Little girl: Grandma, I can't do this.
Michael Scott: What's going on? A little homework over here?
Little girl: Yeah.
Michael Scott: Let's see if I can help. Ohhh. Oh, math! That's not so hard. Ok. You have four of these.
Little girl: Right.
Michael Scott: Ignore the parentheses right? Why is this little two so small? It- it's weird. You just-- don't-- you just go by the x. The x means times, so that means four times x two, what is double four?
Little girl: Eight.
Michael Scott: Right! Excellent. Way to go! Nice.
Grandma: [grandma rushes over after Michael walks away] Oh. Don't put that...

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Jocephus wrote:why doesn't the farmer just answer the [expletive] question
It can be considered rude to ask, apparently, as acres/head of cattle/chickens/goats/etc all have a pretty easily quantifiable monetary value, so asking that is like asking how much do you have in your bank account.

/dont' know if that's true

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

And, back to the NCAA, here's a pretty decent deadspin article on how to fix the NCAA.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- The NCAA on Friday announced a proposed agreement that would restore 112 wins by Penn State's football team that were wiped out during the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal and would put the late Joe Paterno back as the winningest coach in major college football history.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... d-restored

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:And, back to the NCAA, here's a pretty decent deadspin article on how to fix the NCAA.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Jocephus wrote:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- The NCAA on Friday announced a proposed agreement that would restore 112 wins by Penn State's football team that were wiped out during the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal and would put the late Joe Paterno back as the winningest coach in major college football history.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... d-restored
Sweet! Is 112 all of the wins they took away or just enough to get him back on top? Just trying to think of a way to turn this into an algebra problem.