Masters

A forum for non-baseball sports
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Masters

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I've never heard of a guy signing a wrong scorecard and not being DQ'd. Especially when he admitted, allegedly, to a guy after he signed his scorecard that he did in fact 'cheat' for lack of a better word.

Oh well, this will bring some attention to the tournament.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Re: Masters

Post by JackofDiamonds »

New rule change last year I think. Allows for a 2-stroke penalty.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Annnd evidently I was wrong. The Masters rule committee is giving him the pass because they decided to pass on a penalty on Friday, let Woods sign his card, then decided Friday night at 10pm that maybe they [expletive] up.

It's a weird scenario. Not sure how I feel about it.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Yeah, the high def rule or whatever is a back door. But, from what I understand, that's for viewers who call in and see something no one else did. THe officials knew Woods had dropped in the wrong place, Woods admitted it. They have a back door now, and that's what they're using. I don't like it. I don't think that rule should even exist.

But, whatever. If Woods breaks Nicklaus' record of majors, this'll be like Denkinger's blown call in game 6 for the Royals.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Also, in an ideal world, Woods should have called that penalty on himself once it was brought to his attention he dropped in the wrong place. It shouldn't be in the rules committees hands to enforce it upon him, imo. I can't recall another scenario like this.

I think he should withdraw, but doubt that happens. I don't feel that strongly about it, just another one of those things. But, other people that are around the game, my brother for instance is a PGA pro, feel pretty strongly that he should excuse himself and the masters is getting a black eye.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I'm still trying to figure out how the [expletive] Tiger Woods would do something illegal in such a high profile situation. I don't really know all the rules of golf but I think he would. Is that same move legal in other scenarios? I kind of thought dropping farther back but on the same line was ok but obviously I'm not well versed.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Also, in an ideal world, Woods should have called that penalty on himself once it was brought to his attention he dropped in the wrong place.
When the violation was committed, he didn't think he did anything wrong - therefore, he didn't call a penalty on himself. The rules committee looked at it and agreed. Then, in the post round interview, he said he dropped two yards back to give himself an advantage (obviously thinking that was ok). The rules committee looked at the shot again, and with the knowledge of what he said, assessed him a penalty. Then they exercised the new rule (33-7?) that gives the rules committee some discretion in DQ'ing the player for signing an inncorrect scorecard.

I'm kind of torn on this. The rules say he can play on....but should he have DQ'ed himself? Maybe...

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I find it funny how strikingly different the Golf Channel and ESPN responded to this. I suppose each is just catering to their audience, though.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I find it funny how strikingly different the Golf Channel and ESPN responded to this. I suppose each is just catering to their audience, though.
Can you characterize it for someone who is interested, but not quite interested enough to find out directly?
Tough situation for ESPN. They don't know how to talk about golf unless it's hung in a Tiger Woods frame which would make the Master's this weekend a non-event without him. But on the other hand, if he's DQ'd they can go to 48/60 SportsCenter minutes on Tebow or Favre or Lebron or Tiger mode.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

MrSaigon wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:I find it funny how strikingly different the Golf Channel and ESPN responded to this. I suppose each is just catering to their audience, though.
Can you characterize it for someone who is interested, but not quite interested enough to find out directly?
Tough situation for ESPN. They don't know how to talk about golf unless it's hung in a Tiger Woods frame which would make the Master's this weekend a non-event without him. But on the other hand, if he's DQ'd they can go to 48/60 SportsCenter minutes on Tebow or Favre or Lebron or Tiger mode.
ESPN took the more Pro-Tiger approach, didn't think it was fair that if the PGA didn't catch it, he shouldn't have to suffer the consequences.

Most of the Golf Channel analysts, and especially Nick Faldo, thought that Tiger should withdraw. Their studio host, IMO, had it right when he said the punishment fit the crime. He basically said it shouldn't be used as an excuse that because officials didn't catch it that Tiger get away with it, and that's more or less the reason for the rule change.