-go birds

Re: NFL Playoffs 2015/Super Bowl XVIX

Post by go birds »

kinda surprised the FCC allowed dodge to say "[expletive]" in their ad

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

dmarx114 wrote:One other thing.....I think the type of passing play the Seahawks ran at the end was bad. If they ran a traditional goal line set with 2 or 3 tight ends, they could have created the illuision of a run with a play action pass, and throw the ball to a tight end.

But the Seahawks somewhat telegraphed a pass by having 3 receivers in the game. That's on the coaching staff.
I don't watch a ton of football but it seems like most teams in that situation throw the fade to the corner of the endzone in a spot that only their player can catch it.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Nate Silver says the decision to throw wasn't terrible...but yeah, I think the type of pass that it was is the main problem.

Belichick's decision not to call timeout and save some clock in the event the Seahawks scored was also a bad decision.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-h ... e-carroll/

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

JL21 wrote:That Nissan ad with Cat's in the Cradle would have been way better if it had been for condoms.

Generally speaking, I thought it was a good year for ads because I actually liked a few. That's rarely true.
I'll stop by the dealership later. I was able to shower with Dove products earlier today and opened a NW policy. By this evening when I drive home in an Altima I'll be an incredible father.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Cool NFL stat that the guys on College Football Live just gave: there were 109 passes thrown in the NFL this season from the one yard line combining the regular season and postseason. On these plays, there were 66 touchdown passes...and one interception!

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

MrSaigon wrote:
JL21 wrote:That Nissan ad with Cat's in the Cradle would have been way better if it had been for condoms.

Generally speaking, I thought it was a good year for ads because I actually liked a few. That's rarely true.
I'll stop by the dealership later. I was able to shower with Dove products earlier today and opened a NW policy. By this evening when I drive home in an Altima I'll be an incredible father.

Of course all the Doritos I ate in the late 90s never did get me laid.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Obviously, Pete Carroll (and Darrell Bevell) underestimated their greatest weapon. But don't act like he's stupid. The eventual outcome was pretty damn unlikely.
Mike Cardano @MikeCardano · 7h 7 hours ago
INTERESTING: That was the 109th time a QB threw from the 1-yd line this yr & it the 1st time it resulted in an INT @scotteRotoEx @AdamRonis
They have that play, then a run, then a timeout, then a choice on 4th.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

lukethedrifter wrote:Obviously, Pete Carroll (and Darrell Bevell) underestimated their greatest weapon. But don't act like he's stupid. The eventual outcome was pretty damn unlikely.
Mike Cardano @MikeCardano · 7h 7 hours ago
INTERESTING: That was the 109th time a QB threw from the 1-yd line this yr & it the 1st time it resulted in an INT @scotteRotoEx @AdamRonis
They have that play, then a run, then a timeout, then a choice on 4th.
I agree with this 100%.

Even taking away the situation (the down and distance), Wilson's INT % is 1.5 this year, 2.1 career. Less than a 1-in-50 shot that he gets picked.

There's no denying that they should have used Lynch, but the pick was an extremely unlikely outcome.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I'm going to guess that pass play has a better success rate than a fade, or a play where Wilson could go thru options But with that inside pass play, a failure stands greater chance of pick than the other type passing plays.

I agree the outcome of that play was unlikely, but it would have been even unlikelier if it was some other pass play where Wilson had option of throwing it away -which he is uncommonly good at doing.

Sorry, no time to dig for stats to back up my premise.
Last edited by Freed Roger on February 2 15, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I think it just seems like a more stupid play because of the way that Lynch had been railroading the Patriots for the entire second half. It's not so much a matter disagreeing with what they did (throwing the ball), but disagreeing with what they didn't do (give the ball to Lynch). Heck, even if you think giving the ball to Lynch is too obvious, there are other plays that seem more logical. Run a play-action, bootleg, read-option, etc.

Too much "congestion" for the play that they called, in my opinion.

Edit: Kinda what Freed is saying.