Change a rule (basketball, football, curling edition)

A forum for non-baseball sports
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Change a rule (basketball, football, curling edition)

Post by ghostrunner »

Basketball - Does anyone else think they should limit timeouts in the last few minutes? To say, 1 per team? I'm guessing networks love all the timeouts since it lets them go to commercials when people are all hyped up. I find it really frustrating. I'd do it up and down all levels though - NBA, college, etc....

I'd like to see a version of basketball with the coaches much less involved. One of the things I liked about Bob Knight, though he's a douchebag, was that he'd sit down for most of the game. Tom Crean and most other coaches drive me nuts. Get your ass off the court and shut up for a while. That train has left the station though.

MrSaigon

Re: Change a rule (basketball, football, curling edition)

Post by MrSaigon »

ghostrunner wrote:Basketball - Does anyone else think they should limit timeouts in the last few minutes? To say, 1 per team? I'm guessing networks love all the timeouts since it lets them go to commercials when people are all hyped up. I find it really frustrating. I'd do it up and down all levels though - NBA, college, etc....

I'd like to see a version of basketball with the coaches much less involved. One of the things I liked about Bob Knight, though he's a douchebag, was that he'd sit down for most of the game. Tom Crean and most other coaches drive me nuts. Get your ass off the court and shut up for a while. That train has left the station though.
The end of NBA games is excruciating. Replays should be handled by someone in an office to send word down to the officials in a flash. Refs will hate it, but they got to do something about it. I'd slice off a couple timeouts as well.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

Award 4 points for a field goal more than 50 yards in college.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Hot take: Basketball is a broken sport, we've crossed the athleticism threshold where games are determined by 3 point percentage(more or less random game to game) and referee decisions (biased in the worst ways).

Perhaps more radically, for football: eliminate eligibility/downfield limitations on offense, make it completely free form who can catch a pass. Hopefully it helps with the health risks(encourages 'linemen' on both sides that are closer to TE/LB size and lessens the wall smashing concussion-fest that is OL/DL interaction) and makes for even more creative offense. (note: I came up with this idea in 30 seconds and it may be in fact terrible)

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

What exactly is the point of those eligibility/downfield restrictions in football?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

MrSaigon wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Basketball - Does anyone else think they should limit timeouts in the last few minutes? To say, 1 per team? I'm guessing networks love all the timeouts since it lets them go to commercials when people are all hyped up. I find it really frustrating. I'd do it up and down all levels though - NBA, college, etc....

The end of NBA games is excruciating. Replays should be handled by someone in an office to send word down to the officials in a flash. Refs will hate it, but they got to do something about it. I'd slice off a couple timeouts as well.
I think an intentional foul should just be 2 or 3 points automatically given in the last 2 minutes. Basketball really suffers from this, right when the game should be the most exciting is exactly when it grinds to a screeching halt.

jim

Post by jim »

Arthur Dent wrote:What exactly is the point of those eligibility/downfield restrictions in football?
To restrict who can and can not go out for a pass.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Obviously, but what was the reason for restricting that?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

no shirts, only skins

jim

Post by jim »

Arthur Dent wrote:Obviously, but what was the reason for restricting that?
I have no idea of the motive.

BTW - the old scoring system used to award more points for the conversion than the touchdown. The TD gave you the opportunity to score many more points, but you didn't get them until you converted the kick.