PRO wrestling thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: PRO wrestling thread

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The WWE is bringing back the World Heavyweight Championship which will become the primary title on whichever show Roman Reigns isn't on after the draft. The champ will be crowned May 27 in Saudi.

WWE really is about to ruin two of their best storylines they've had since Kofimania because they are absolutely terrified of dethroning a part-time champion.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
April 25 23, 9:23 am
The WWE is bringing back the World Heavyweight Championship which will become the primary title on whichever show Roman Reigns isn't on after the draft. The champ will be crowned May 27 in Saudi.

WWE really is about to ruin two of their best storylines they've had since Kofimania because they are absolutely terrified of dethroning a part-time champion.
And AEW is about to bring back punk, start a two hour show on Saturdays, and do Wembley. Tony had the edge, then [expletive] it up. Then WWE had the edge and [expletive] it up. How will Tony fumble the bag this time? If they execute Punk's return correctly, they could legitimately close some of the gap quickly and in a big way, but somehow fate will intervene. Fascinating time to be an adult fan of wrestling.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I used Chat GPT to recast The Wizard of Oz using only current WWE superstars and I think it did a reasonably good job

Dorothy: Becky Lynch
Scarecrow: AJ Styles
Tin Man: Bryan Danielson (I'll let it slide)
Cowardly Lion: Braun Strowman
The Wizard of Oz: Vince McMahon (it works but slightly disappointed this wasn't The Miz)
Wicked Witch of the West: Alexa Bliss
Glinda: Charlotte Flair
Toto: Rey Mysterio
Munchkins: The New Day

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Current employment status aside, American Dragon would be an excellent Tin Man.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I don't know that there's a better in-ring wrestler in WWE right now than Gunther. His match last night with KO on Raw was PPV-worthy and there it was on basic cable. There are a lot of tremendous workers going in the Fed at the moment, but Gunther just never seems to have a bad match.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Omega v Ospreay & Danielson v Okada announced for forbidden door 2. Off to a great start.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Terry Funk died yesterday.

Bray Wyatt died today.

Damn.

mtcefc
Everyday Player

Post by mtcefc »

Surely if there was any other "sport" people were dying young like there seems to be in wrestling they would try and regulate it?

Throwing yourself/being thrown around a ring 3 or 4 times a week plus all the travelling can't be good for you for starters, but it seems to be like an unwritten rule it is the minimum expected of people.

I do enjoy dipping in and out of it and with AEW at Wembley this weekend I was at Summerslam 1992 so am not anti wrestling by any stretch.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

mtcefc wrote:
August 25 23, 6:51 am
Surely if there was any other "sport" people were dying young like there seems to be in wrestling they would try and regulate it?
Wrestlers dying young is very, very rare these days (compared to the past). I assume you know Terry Funk (RIP King I will miss your barb wire-wrapped bus) was very, very old. Bray Wyatt apparently died of a heart condition exacerbated by a covid infection. What part steroid abuse / lifestyle played in that heart condition is completely unknowable, but yeah, it's not a healthy lifestyle. Its just definitely been regulated by the young wrestlers themselves and by vets in the back. PED usage is still rampant, I'm sure, but a) the drugs nowadays aren't as dangerous and b) just watch AEW, look at the bodies, and see for yourself. WWE is still very juicy, because they're still run by dinosaurs, but most wrestlers of the past couple of gens are extremely fit and strong, but not unnaturally so. Athleticism and death rates have improved dramatically as a result. Seems like people also get much fewer muscle injuries. Also, big stars are wrestling way less than they used to have to, so juicing to recover is less of a thing. I would place a huge bet that there are more PED users by % in MMA (which is regulated and tested by USADA) than pro wrestling.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

GQ interviewed Bryan Danielson about this today funnily enough.

https://www.gq.com/story/real-life-diet-bryan-danielson