MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: PRO wrestling thread

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

vinsanity wrote:
July 26 22, 1:31 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
July 26 22, 11:14 am
I liked Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Andre the Giant when I was a kid. Then I got back into it with Stone Cold, The Rock and even HHH with some of the storylines they had in those years. Then I fell off again; probably when the WCW folded.

I begrudgingly admit that Undertaker was always a cool ring presence; though I was never able to admit that before because he was my brother's favorite and therefore I had to dislike him.
One of the cool things, I thought, was when they kind of took of the facade of it being "real" in the attitude era. I got in to it a bit after the "Curtain Call" but that seemed to be the breaking point and they just introduced total abusrdity. You had lines that blended the kayfabe so much, you honestly didn't know what was real and was scripted. Like the Test/Stephanie relationship that ended with her married to HHH - it was like, wait - what's real and what's kayfabe? I remember the Owen Hart tragedy having some initial question of being scripted.

I worked on WWE a while back and had to watch far more of it than I wanted to and I think once that veneer had been pulled away and it definitely depended more on the actual scripted stories, it started to falter. I know for a fact Vince had final approval on almost every decision which led to some slower decision making than typical and odd focuses. I felt like he always wanted to put over and focus on the wrong talent. But I've not watched much in the last three or four years, I think it's fun and the acrobatics are always fun to watch but I'm not shelling out for the network, granted it's kind of worth it with the PPVs.
The Network is now part of Peacock for US users, which made it extremely worth it for me. The thing I do miss is that they don't do many of their produced documentaries or docuseries anymore, which I thought were excellent.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
July 26 22, 1:39 pm
The Network is now part of Peacock for US users, which made it extremely worth it for me. The thing I do miss is that they don't do many of their produced documentaries or docuseries anymore, which I thought were excellent.
I was working on the app during the 10 year anniversary of the Undertaker/Mankind hell in the cell match; that doc was great.

Granted, I had to watch it like 15 times.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

vinsanity wrote:
July 26 22, 1:43 pm
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I was working on the app during the 10 year anniversary of the Undertaker/Mankind hell in the cell match; that doc was great.

The Last Ride docuseries was incredibly well done... and their series like 24, Untold, etc. are all quite good too.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
July 26 22, 1:56 pm
vinsanity wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

The Last Ride docuseries was incredibly well done... and their series like 24, Untold, etc. are all quite good too.
I didn't watch many of The Last Ride but you're right, they were great. I watched a lot of the ones with like three guys at lunch just reminiscing that were really cool? It was kinda interesting to see the Cena/Bellas reality show because it was clearly kind of a "show within a show" going on. Like a reality show in kayfabe for some extra inception. Even the Camp WWE was totally goofy but just entertaining enough. Honestly, there's plenty of room for great content I just don't adore it enough to justify.

Does Peacock come with the PPV's tho? Cause I'd consider swapping Peacock for Netflix if so. I remember 6 years ago the like $12.99/month got the whole network and the PPVs.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

vinsanity wrote:
July 26 22, 2:01 pm
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
July 26 22, 1:56 pm
vinsanity wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

I didn't watch many of The Last Ride but you're right, they were great. I watched a lot of the ones with like three guys at lunch just reminiscing that were really cool? It was kinda interesting to see the Cena/Bellas reality show because it was clearly kind of a "show within a show" going on. Like a reality show in kayfabe for some extra inception. Even the Camp WWE was totally goofy but just entertaining enough. Honestly, there's plenty of room for great content I just don't adore it enough to justify.

Does Peacock come with the PPV's tho? Cause I'd consider swapping Peacock for Netflix if so. I remember 6 years ago the like $12.99/month got the whole network and the PPVs.
You have to get whatever the plus tier for Peacock is, but it's $10/month, and you get access to all the PPVs.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

catching up on this thread...

the fact that vincent k. mcmahon's ouster was reduced to a friday afternoon news dump via social media in the middle of july is fascinating. i think they must have uncovered some pretty bad stuff.

re: wwe produced documentaries...the ones i've seen are well made but im always skeptical of truthfulness...since they own so many defunct promotions/territories/IPs/licenses, etc, they can dictate the narrative.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I always think of them as "infotainment," sort of like The Last Dance. There's definitely a narrative they want you to hear, but it's also information you probably aren't going to hear anywhere else. I wouldn't trust them for the Vince allegations or anything like that (even the A&E Biography series skipped right over Stone Cold's DV situation with Debra), but when it comes to big-scale unimportant stuff, I don't really think you can do better.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The Riddle vs. Seth Rollins match that was booked for Summerslam has been postponed for a kayfabe injury to Riddle. I've read that they want to push that match to Clash at the Castle in September.

It really is a bummer for Rollins, who has a case to be WWE's Mr. Summerslam. He's won (not just retained, but won) every Grand Slam title at that PPV. Other wrestlers who might be able to make the claim for "Mr. Summerslam": Bret Hart, Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, Randy Orton

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
July 27 22, 3:26 pm
when it comes to big-scale unimportant stuff, I don't really think you can do better.
Yea there was some interesting stuff about The Kliq when the WCW acquisition happened and just the other details of the more "in the ring" stuff. They almost drop kayfabe in some but it's not going to show the drugs and alcohol and abuse.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
July 27 22, 3:26 pm
I always think of them as "infotainment," sort of like The Last Dance. There's definitely a narrative they want you to hear, but it's also information you probably aren't going to hear anywhere else. I wouldn't trust them for the Vince allegations or anything like that (even the A&E Biography series skipped right over Stone Cold's DV situation with Debra), but when it comes to big-scale unimportant stuff, I don't really think you can do better.
yeah, im not trying to hold them to some high standard, the videos are made to be infotainment but its always in the back of my mind. that said, i couldn't tell you what the last wwe docu video i would have watched even is. i think it was WWE that did some on WCCW and the AWA which i enjoyed.