PRO wrestling thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: PRO wrestling thread

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Yeah the fact that this didn’t happen on Wrestlemania weekend or something like that is pretty telling.

Apparently Brock Lesnar walked out of tonight’s Smackdown.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Co-CEO’s lmao. Really set the tone of the new era weak out the gate

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Hahaha

That’s what they’re self-reporting. Imagine what they’re not. Imagine what they don’t even know about.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

HHH is the new head of creative at WWE. There are reasons to be optimistic for this. NXT through the mid-to-late teens was incredibly well booked. It petered out right around the time AEW was really finding itself, but I am hopeful for the change.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

HHH might be a good call there. I haven't really watched wrestling regularly in fifteen years or more

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

CardsofSTL wrote:
July 25 22, 7:59 pm
HHH might be a good call there. I haven't really watched wrestling regularly in fifteen years or more
I thought last night’s Raw was pretty good! Opened differently than other shows, no stilted promos, only one cringe segment… but it’s also for a PPV this weekend so I don’t really think there was any way around it.

I think the best explanation that I saw is that even something different without guarantees it’ll be better is welcome at this point.

When NXT was in its heyday and guys like Kevin Owens, Shinsuke Nakamura, and Sami Zayn were the champs, it was incredible to watch. But, HHH also thought Karrion Kross should’ve been the champ, he sucked, and he got clowned when moved to the main roster.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I haven't really watched since about 1991. But from 1984 to 1991, I loved the WWF.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
July 26 22, 9:37 am
I haven't really watched since about 1991. But from 1984 to 1991, I loved the WWF.
The Golden Era was great as a kid. For as much as I despise the man now, Hulk Hogan is the biggest factor into why I became a wrestling fan. Bret Hart is responsible for helping me learn that wrestling could be more than just a real-life cartoon, and The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin (though I was waaaaaay more of a Rock fan) helped me understand how cool wrestling can be.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I liked Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Andre the Giant when I was a kid. Then I got back into it with Stone Cold, The Rock and even HHH with some of the storylines they had in those years. Then I fell off again; probably when the WCW folded.

I begrudgingly admit that Undertaker was always a cool ring presence; though I was never able to admit that before because he was my brother's favorite and therefore I had to dislike him.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

CardsofSTL wrote:
July 26 22, 11:14 am
I liked Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Andre the Giant when I was a kid. Then I got back into it with Stone Cold, The Rock and even HHH with some of the storylines they had in those years. Then I fell off again; probably when the WCW folded.

I begrudgingly admit that Undertaker was always a cool ring presence; though I was never able to admit that before because he was my brother's favorite and therefore I had to dislike him.
One of the cool things, I thought, was when they kind of took of the facade of it being "real" in the attitude era. I got in to it a bit after the "Curtain Call" but that seemed to be the breaking point and they just introduced total abusrdity. You had lines that blended the kayfabe so much, you honestly didn't know what was real and was scripted. Like the Test/Stephanie relationship that ended with her married to HHH - it was like, wait - what's real and what's kayfabe? I remember the Owen Hart tragedy having some initial question of being scripted.

I worked on WWE a while back and had to watch far more of it than I wanted to and I think once that veneer had been pulled away and it definitely depended more on the actual scripted stories, it started to falter. I know for a fact Vince had final approval on almost every decision which led to some slower decision making than typical and odd focuses. I felt like he always wanted to put over and focus on the wrong talent. But I've not watched much in the last three or four years, I think it's fun and the acrobatics are always fun to watch but I'm not shelling out for the network, granted it's kind of worth it with the PPVs.