PRO wrestling thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: PRO wrestling thread

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

thrill wrote:
August 9 22, 1:00 pm
I watched the Cena 20 year ep of RAW because it was available on regular peacock and it was god awful. I'll check back in when Hunter has more momentum going and see if I like the product at all. There's something about the WWE visual style that does nothing for me. I think their creative under Vince was stale as hell.

That said, when you watch WWE you are reminded that they do have some absolutely phenomenal workers in-ring. Which obviously makes sense given that they pay the most and offer the most fame.
Not just that, they are at their absolute peak as a company for workers. Actually having women wrestlers who can wrestle and not just look pretty goes a long way in that, but even on the men's side, it's the deepest it's ever been.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Last night's Raw was the best I can remember, and this segment between Drew McIntyre and Kevin Owens was my favorite part of it:
KO calling back to the Prize Fighter gimmick is great, and Drew answering the claims about the Chosen One with such fire was exactly what was needed. The match itself was very good too, and while I dislike DQ finishes, it at least made sense this time.

Other things I liked about Raw were AJ Styles and Bobby Lashley putting on a terrific match (again, giving great wrestlers time to cook leads to great things-- whoda thunk it?) where the US Title feels important again, and guys like Ciampa, Cedric Alexander and Mustafa Ali all getting a chance to show out in a 10-minute match.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Rampage was so f’ing sick. Punk & Mox. Danielson & Garcia. Kenny Omega. JR got everybody’s name right. Kenny [expletive] omega.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Sympathy for the devil MAX!!!!?!

Holy [expletive] that was totally max.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

It was max. They didn’t pay it off as cool as they could’ve. Also, Punk went scorched earth on the bucks & hangman in the post-presser.

Tony Khan has his hands full with all of these egos. Cody Rhodes remains one of the savviest guys in the business. He timed the move back to WWE ahead of all these growing pains perfectly. I thought Jericho spoke about it well in the post. Tony is going to have to prioritize the business more the bigger the company gets and everyone needs to keep perspective about that now that it’s no longer the indies on steroids.
Last edited by thrill on September 5 22, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i have no idea whats going on but i did listen to this this morning during my workout

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The bucks & hangman are friends with colt cabana. Colt legitimately tried to screw punk in a totally cowardly way when he sued him after riding his coattails. The bucks (and hangman) have been leaking & talking [expletive] and that’s not acceptable from EVP’s of a legit televised promotion. That’s indie BS. Punk going nuclear isn’t great but he’s not wrong that the indie guys who “built” AEW seem like they’re throwing tantrums now that they aren’t the center of attention both on screen and in the back.

I love the bucks as performers, but they have prevented FTR from getting the full push that the fans were clamoring for. Then they invent the trios belts seemingly because they need belts for their egos.

I obviously know nothing but it strikes a familiar chord from when I’ve been around growing successful companies and people have to start sharing the spotlight and money. This is why I think Cody’s move was brilliant. He was getting booed by AEW fans who were tired of seeing him in the spotlight because he was one of the founders. Rather than turn heel he went to WWE and got the forbidden door heat rather than having to just become one of many supporting players at AEW while guys like Punk come in and steal the spotlight.

Mox and Max are the only AEW pillars who seem to get how to stay super relevant with all the new blood coming in.

I like hangman. I think punk can probably be an insufferable prick and hard to deal with. It feels like a lot of generational sensibility differences between millennials and their bosses. I can certainly relate and respect where he’s coming from, but I don’t think getting into a pissing match with punk is the move unless you’re as brilliant & impersonal an operator as someone like MJF. Hangman takes it too personally.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Also it’s worth noting that the Jags are a terrible franchise and Fulham has gotten worse since the khans took over. Not sayin, just sayin.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Wrestling is good imo