'Burb Boy

Re: PRO wrestling thread

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Cody Rhodes HFS

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Dave Meltzer gave Cody Rhodes and Seth Rollins at Hell in a Cell 5 stars. It's the first non-NXT WWE match to get that rating since John Cena and CM Punk at Money in the Bank 2011.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I feel bad for Cody. It seems like he has found some level of acceptance that he'll never be as organically beloved as his dad (I mean, who is?) so he puts his body through insane punishment to please the same fans who will never really love him. I admire his determination, but geez.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I think that's a part of it, but I think a bigger part is proving all his detractors wrong. The IWC gave him the nickname of "Three-Star Cody," and since then, it feels like he's been on a mission as you pointed out to torture himself and prove that he can go. I do think someone should've stopped him from wrestling last weekend, but there also really wasn't any more damage he could've done to his pec at that point. Now that he's had surgery, he really does need to rest up.

I think at this point in time, Cody is WWE's top babyface by a pretty big margin, and the most likely person to dethrone Roman Reigns, especially now that Roman is a full-fledged part-timer. He was taken off the MITB card once the show got moved away from Allegiant Stadium, presumably because he wants a stadium gate. If he's only working stadium shows now, he maybe has 4-5 matches before he drops the title. Summerslam probably vs Orton, the UK show vs McIntyre (who is the only other person I think with a shot), maybe the Saudi Arabia show, the Royal Rumble, and then Mania. My fantasy booking is Cody wins the Rumble, but The Rock rumors turn out to be true, and he challenges Roman for the title(s) at Mania. It all gets worked out that Rock vs Roman headlines Night 1, with Cody to take on the winner (Roman) on Night 2, and Cody captures the gold.

I also want to quickly acknowledge Seth Rollins, who in my opinion is WWE's Superstar of the Year for 2022. Not in kayfabe of course because he's lost three consecutive PPVs, but IRL. Even though everyone figured it was Cody that he would be challenging at Mania, he still had to carry the program build single-handedly. Kevin Owens did have to do something similar with Stone Cold, but there was at least a video from Austin on that one. All Seth has done is put on banger after banger after banger all while being an incredible troll that you roll eyes at at first before he eventually grows on you. While the Royal Rumble was a dud, his match with Roman and using The Shield entrance was the highlight of that show. He's always been a terrific worker, and now he's doing the best character work of his career.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

my stupid, useless opinions/thoughts...

i've mentioned before, i stopped watching pro wrestling around 04 or 05 i think...but i like bryan alvarez and a few others from figure four so i'll randomly pick up on happenings via their youtube...and i honestly don't really watch the current wrestling talk, i like when they review old matches...anyways, when MCG had that post a couple days about cody, i was like "whats going on?". quick google and holy crap what a disgusting injury and major tip of the cap to him for doing that.

i remember when i first became aware of cody...he was kinda small, had that lisp and was just like "eh, another runnels kid". fast forward to now, the things i know about him, i give him a ton of credit. obviously, under the shadow of his dad. brother dustin was a solid hand too, can obviously critique how wwe handled that character (goldust), and it was a different era, but talk about cajones and what not to try and make this fetishist character work. but for cody to quit wwe, work the indie circuit, help start up a new legitimate competitor to vince and become his own "character(s)", i think is pretty damn impressive.

makes me think cody probably could have made it back in the territory days...or, he has those genes that may not progress to newer generations since the business is so different. he might be the last of an era, as far as mentality. im looking at this wikipedia...his dad is dusty, brother dustin, his godfather is magnum TA, one uncle is fred ottman (tugboat/typhoon) and another uncle is one of the nasty boys. crazy lineage.

i obviously defer to mcg and thrill when it comes to current wrestling and enjoy reading y'alls commentary.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Jocephus wrote:
June 10 22, 3:33 pm
my stupid, useless opinions/thoughts...

i've mentioned before, i stopped watching pro wrestling around 04 or 05 i think...but i like bryan alvarez and a few others from figure four so i'll randomly pick up on happenings via their youtube...and i honestly don't really watch the current wrestling talk, i like when they review old matches...anyways, when MCG had that post a couple days about cody, i was like "whats going on?". quick google and holy crap what a disgusting injury and major tip of the cap to him for doing that.

i remember when i first became aware of cody...he was kinda small, had that lisp and was just like "eh, another runnels kid". fast forward to now, the things i know about him, i give him a ton of credit. obviously, under the shadow of his dad. brother dustin was a solid hand too, can obviously critique how wwe handled that character (goldust), and it was a different era, but talk about cajones and what not to try and make this fetishist character work. but for cody to quit wwe, work the indie circuit, help start up a new legitimate competitor to vince and become his own "character(s)", i think is pretty damn impressive.

makes me think cody probably could have made it back in the territory days...or, he has those genes that may not progress to newer generations since the business is so different. he might be the last of an era, as far as mentality. im looking at this wikipedia...his dad is dusty, brother dustin, his godfather is magnum TA, one uncle is fred ottman (tugboat/typhoon) and another uncle is one of the nasty boys. crazy lineage.

i obviously defer to mcg and thrill when it comes to current wrestling and enjoy reading y'alls commentary.
It's very funny when you watch how some guys progress. "Fat" isn't the right word, but guys like The Miz and Randy Orton have leaned out considerably from their first years in WWE, while Cody has bulked up a lot. I'm not a body guy in the way that Vince is, but Cody didn't look the part of champion in his first run. If you're going to be a small wrestler, you'd better have ring skills like Adam Cole, AJ Styles or Bryan Danielson... and even the latter two are more just short. I do give Cody a ton of credit for betting on himself and winning that bet. I'm generally not a rah rah guy, but for some reason, I can make exceptions for Cody and The Miz. There are probably others I'm not thinking of right now.

Goldust probably doesn't get the due he deserves. He's well into his 50s now but still wrestles occasionally on AEW and is in the BSOHL. He doesn't have anything resembling the Goldust persona, but I remember Bret Hart talking about in one of his documentaries and maybe in his biography as well that Goldust loved pushing audience buttons and pushing them hard.

I don't know if we'll ever get it, but now that both are established, I wonder if we will get a Xavier Woods vs Cody Rhodes amateur style wrestling match. Woods has said he wanted one before. He and Cody both grew up in Georgia and were high school wrestlers around the same time, but Cody was a weight class higher. Woods also tried to get Kurt Angle to amateur wrestle him backstage, and Kurt essentially told him he would lose, and he was right. Kurt destroyed Brock Lesnar in an impromptu amateur match. Brock is a multi-time amateur champion and has dozens of pounds advantage on Kurt, but it just goes to show how good a literal gold medalist is. While I'm on that tangent, Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania XIX is the only Mania main event where both competitors used their real names.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I don’t watch WWE at all, but I did watch during the Punk title run because of all the hype the pipe bomb got. Then I became a huge fan just because I was a punk/Emo scene kid from Illinois, just like punk.

Anyways, I loved Cody Rhodes during that era. He was doing a weird phantom of the opera character that was too weird to not love. I’ve always thought Cody is a little too smart and self aware to get mass appeal. All the best wrestlers are a little but dumb.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

thrill wrote:
June 12 22, 9:14 am
I don’t watch WWE at all, but I did watch during the Punk title run because of all the hype the pipe bomb got. Then I became a huge fan just because I was a punk/Emo scene kid from Illinois, just like punk.

Anyways, I loved Cody Rhodes during that era. He was doing a weird phantom of the opera character that was too weird to not love. I’ve always thought Cody is a little too smart and self aware to get mass appeal. All the best wrestlers are a little but dumb.
IIRC because I drifted away from wrestling a bit at that time, but I think he legit broke his nose at first and then kept the mask as a bit.

Talking about Cody being a smart guy for some reason got me thinking about another direction: I'm pretty sure I've said it in this thread before, but I do feel like wrestlers are, by and large, better people now than at any other point in the sport's history. That's not to say there aren't bad people because of course there are, but the median wrestler is just a guy, and the good ones are wonderful people.

I'd be lying if this video of John Cena didn't make me feel things:
And then coming back to Cody-- Amanda Huber (Brodie Lee's widow) did an AEW podcast a few months after Brodie's death where she detailed the last few months of his life. When it became clear that Brodie was going to die, she called on Cody and Big E to drive to Jacksonville so they could both be there for her son when she broke the news to him. Neither guy hesitated, they took the phone call on the night of Christmas Eve and arrived the morning of the 26th, the same day Brodie died.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Cena is the only good man in Tampa. I think if he was a milkshake duck, we'd know by now, but man do I not want him to ever get cancelled. I'm not even a fan of him as a wrestler. He just seems like such a nice guy.