UCLA Quarterback Josh Rosen Comments

A forum for non-baseball sports
misterManager
Everyday Player

UCLA Quarterback Josh Rosen Comments

Post by misterManager »

UCLA's quarterback put "the system" on blast I saw in the Post-Dispatch today. How does GRB feel about the fact that many college football players are on the team merely as a tool to get to the NFL. IE that they are not up to snuff academically but are forced to play for free, expose themselves to the known brain trauma, etc. in order to reach the NFL and a payday? Here's the link:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ent-raised

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: UCLA Quarterback Josh Rosen Comments

Post by ghostrunner »

I think I like that guy. And I agree with pretty much all of it.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Everything about college football is so messed up. The local stores still sell Oregon jerseys with the number 8 on them (Marcus Mariota), making UO and Nike plenty of money. But had Marcus signed an autograph for a guy buying him lunch he would have had a Mueller-esque investigation into his background. As I wrote that sentence the NCAA added Paul McCartney and Beyonce (with the twins) to the entertainment lineup for their Athlete Entitlement Prevention Symposium.

Honestly, I'd suggest Rosen consider phoning school in for now, then coming back to it when he's in the NFL, or if it doesn't work out. But maybe he's a guy that just doesn't operate that way. I appreciate his candor on this and other stuff in the past.

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

The fact that anyone considers the 99% of athletes that get a degree to be enlightened is also a little funny to me. Seems like lip-service in order to justify the above mention of $$$ that can be made by throwing around the "free education" bit. If the compensation doesn't go anywhere in the next 10 years I think it will be a sad sight. So much money seems to be moving towards sports from traditional television revenue streams of network programming etc. Not even saying that Rosen or Mariota or anyone should be pulling in nine figures for playing their game, but the culture needs to change for sure. From there it would be interesting to see the value that some of these guys could command.