College hoops and the feds

A forum for non-baseball sports
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: College hoops and the feds

Post by sighyoung »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:If it wasn't clear, that does come as a surprise to me. Especially that Pitino would come around himself.
Oh, believe me, I know. I was surprised when I heard it. But that one player must have been a handful, and that may have necessitated the extra attention--and ultimately, his removal from the program.

And to be clear, grad assistants and others were doing most of the checking. But he did show up when he had to.

I've taught a few players from different sports and activities, including baseball, volleyball, swimming, men's soccer, track, field hockey, and even cheerleading. None of their coaches ever showed up, but none had to--all of the students were great.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

To be fair there's no shoe money in swimming

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

sighyoung wrote:
Charlie Strong made sure his football players were in class, too, but Bobby Petrino couldn't care less. Nevertheless, the graduation rates have stayed steady. I don't know what the players are taking, though.
I have a story from a guy who was a GA under Petrino at Arkansas. One Saturday, Arkansas played on CBS and a player had received some sort of mention for being an outstanding STUDENT-athlete. Had a 4.0 iirc, honors, whatever. The GA had submitted him as part of the programming or whatever they do for the media to help highlight certain things.

Anyway, a couple weeks later, the student is walking through the locker room and says hey to the GA; Petrino is standing a few feet away as well. As the student walks by Petrino asks the GA who the player was. GA tells him and how he was highlighted on CBS and everything. Petrino just goes...."looks like a big ball of suck to me" and walks away.

I don't find it hard at all to believe Petrino couldn't give two [expletive] about his players and especially about their academic well-being.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

sighyoung wrote:Don't worry, Louisville hasn't fired me yet. Hold on. There's a knock on the door. Let me
We expect a lot more gifs

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Freed Roger wrote:
sighyoung wrote:Don't worry, Louisville hasn't fired me yet. Hold on. There's a knock on the door. Let me
We expect a lot more gifs

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... int-source

He was a scuzzbucket on the rampage.

Side note: I usually park in the lot right next to that practice facility. I can't even get into the lot with all the media vans around the area.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

now that nike is being subpoena'd i cant wait to see upon whom that hammer falls

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

The college basketball sewer is backing up, and what we see won't be pretty.

On the bright side, Colgate might win its first NCAA championship in a couple of years.