2018-2019 College Basketball

A forum for non-baseball sports
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: 2018-2019 College Basketball

Post by 33anda3rd »

Ha. Add Duke to the list of incredible recruiting classes that had several NBA players on their roster who lost to a lesser team because Any Given Sunday. Probably 4 of the top 25 picks in this draft on that Duke team went down. Kudos to Auburn, too, who won despite their likely only NBA player missing all of the KY game and the stretch run of the UNC game--those two teams combine for another 6 of the top ~35 picks this year. So among those three teams in the Elite 8 they have about 29% of the top 35 draft picks and they're all out while Auburn (Okeke is their only real stud) and MSU (nobody on that team plays in the Association) continue on after eliminating them.

Yesterday Duke lost because Coach K got outcoached by a landslide. My wife knows nothing about basketball but watched the Duke Elite 8 game with me. I go "Just watch, when Zion has the ball there are two defenders on him and someone else is open. Zion can either score with two guys on him, because he's a physical marvel, or he can pass to the open guy and that guy can score." Within five minutes she got it, could see it. Zion gets ball in post, they collapse, he passes to RJ, RJ dribbles down the lane and scores an easy floater. Zion gets the ball in the post, Zion jumps over two guys and scores just outside the restricted area. And so on. College kids overplay on defense, they don't recover from ball movement that counters their defensive switches very well, they're always exploitable by the best offensive player on the floor. Carsen Edwards is a great example. That Clarke kid on the Zags. Down the stretch Coach K was running plays with RJ dribble drives and RJ 3P shots in the last minutes and Zion wasn't touching the ball. It was ugly to watch, it's like if in the Bulls-Jazz Finals series Jordan only got 12 shots off and didn't touch the ball the last three minutes. Coach K lost that game.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

And they can’t shoot 3s. Kind of important in today’s game

TigCards
All-Star

Post by TigCards »

Foul ?

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

TigCards wrote:Foul ?
Actually was the right call, but it shouldn't gotten to that point, because the refs missed the double-dribble by Jerome a few seconds earlier.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Was a foul and the right call

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The right call was not to foul on the foul before the foul because at that point (the penultimate foul) the only other option is a half-court heave.

I was in a $20 bracket pool with a couple hundred people in it, and if Auburn and Tech had won tonight I would have taken first and won almost $1700. I'm now in 22nd and can't cash.

Stupid March Madness.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Dude for $1700 on a $20 bet you should have hedged.

That said. The call was absurd.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Dick vitale of all people calling out the refs for the missed double dribble call is hilarious. And saying they need MORE replay. Wasn’t the point of replay to avoid situations like this in the first place. I think the point is, [expletive] replay.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

The double dribble should be called 100 times out of 100. Shouldn't need replay for that.

The foul was legit.

What a horrible ending to a great game.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Socnorb11 wrote:The double dribble should be called 100 times out of 100. Shouldn't need replay for that.

The foul was legit.

What a horrible ending to a great game.
Doesn’t matter. According to replay enthusiasts they will get it right. Twice now in like two months there have been completely obvious and massive [expletive] ups on the highest level in calls in games with replay. So the whole “get it right” is obviously a complete fabrication of an argument.