MLS coming to STL!

A forum for non-baseball sports
Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

MLS coming to STL!

Post by Secret Weapon »

Looking pretty likely... Will this be a success in St. Louis?
Last edited by Secret Weapon on August 20 19, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: MLS coming to STL?

Post by lukethedrifter »

Yes

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

The team will draw in Year 1, no matter what. Hopefully they'll assemble a good squad that'll keep 'em coming back.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Man, I hope this happens.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I think Nashville and StL will be similarly successful. They won't be drawing 60k per game like Atlanta & Seattle, but if they get the stadium right, they'll be great, smaller crowds that get the city excited like Portland.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

I've been a STH for STLFC since the beginning. Watched it grow, slowly, the right way despite poor performance on the field and the stadium being destroyed by a flood. I've also put in a lot of effort communicating with my Alderman to show city resident support. Could not be more excited about how this deal is coming together. A possible MLS franchise, within biking distance of my house, and a net financial gain for the city. Win win!

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

The resolution passed today 26-2, which is a huge step forward. This has finally changed from being unlikely to likely. Nothing is guaranteed yet (by the city or MLS), but at least at this point if someone is going to screw this up, it's not the city. It's the Don.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Just make sure the Cardinals are in town when the Timbers visit. I'd travel to Missouri for that. Thanks in advance.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Hoot45 wrote:The resolution passed today 26-2, which is a huge step forward. This has finally changed from being unlikely to likely. Nothing is guaranteed yet (by the city or MLS), but at least at this point if someone is going to screw this up, it's not the city. It's the Don.
Don Garber? he worked 16 years for the NFL. Now I'm concerned.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

From what I understand, the biggest barrier to STL getting a team is that MLS wants to stop at 28 teams. 23 were in the league this year, Cincinnati, Nashville, and Miami have all been announced, and a consequence of the Save the Crew effort is that Precourt gets an expansion team he'll put in Austin. That leaves one spot with a bunch of potential suitors: San Diego, Phoenix, Sacramento, Detroit, San Antonio, probably a couple others I'm forgetting. The STL bid is pretty easily in the Top 2-3 both in terms of desirability and in lacking obstacles to being approved(e.g. San Diego just shot down a stadium in a public vote), but it's not clear enough to be super confident they'll be the ones for that "last" spot.