MLS coming to STL!

A forum for non-baseball sports
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: MLS coming to STL?

Post by Hoot45 »

Listen to this interview with Danny Mac and the #MLS4TheLou ownership group. It sounds like St. Louis is a lock for the last expansion team.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/mls4 ... test-news/

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Looks nice. Now all they need is a team name.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote: Looks nice. Now all they need is a team name.
St. Louis Arches. Their fans can be called the Arch Supports.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I was cautiously optimistic when there was 1 planned opening and we were up against Sacramento. But they decided to do a 2 team expansion with a 3rd to follow (possibly Phoenix?). This all but assures STL will be an MLS city.

I'm pretty stoked. Finally allowing myself to celebrate!

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Happy that StL is getting a team, but it's getting pretty ridiculous that the league keeps pushing this pyramid scheme of expansion when they have three of the best markets in international sports sitting there, almost completely undeveloped. If this league existed with no franchise in Chicago, Boston, and Dallas, it would be a gold rush to see who drop the most cash to start a team there, and yet the league just lets their current owners sit there and [expletive] it up.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

?

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Thrill, maybe you can explain some things about MLS to me.

My town has a team. They’re insisting on a new stadium. They can’t even fill half the current stadium. They didn’t sell out the opener. Not even close really. Maybe a new stadium would drive interest. But building a $100-$150m stadium HOPING you can fill it seems, idk, like bad business at this point.

And you defining it as a Ponzi scheme is funny, but sounds correct given the structure of the league. It’s centrally owned. Each new team creates a large influx of capital through tax dollars and owner investment, yeah? So they need expansion to keep it afloat...

How’s the revenue trending in general? Is it growing? How is viewership? I don’t get the impression that anyone actually watches it. But people (in other towns anyway) seem to go to games. It’s a diehard core group.

I mean this without offense, but it seems like they’ve cornered the market on the artist, hipster, queer, and anti-sport type of fan. But how’s the outreach with the general demographic? Favorable? I went to a game a week or two ago and it’s a 20s-30s crowd of white people. Sprinkling of some immigrants with flags and stuff. I sat next to an Italian guy and talked Serie A. Was fun, but again, not many people there.

What are the future prospects at this point? Its felt like a long march towards insolvency that will leave the tax payers holding the bag for empty $100m+ stadiums. Some of which in prime real estate. But alas, it’s still here. And making huge moves I guess.

I could be totally wrong and I could google this stuff but reading through this thread it seems like you’re like an expert on soccer.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Why don't they have teams in Dallas, Boston or Chicago?

Major League Rugby is likely getting teams in Dallas and Chicago soon. Boston comes on board next year.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

FC Dallas
New England Revolution
Chicago Fire

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

lukethedrifter wrote:FC Dallas
New England Revolution
Chicago Fire
My bad. So they do. Whoops. Guess I read the post wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.