So the Kentucky Derby, eh.

A forum for non-baseball sports
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: So the Kentucky Derby, eh.

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Yeah what a kick! Running the half-mile in HS that's the finish you always dreamed of.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
May 8 22, 4:53 pm
Yeah what a kick! Running the half-mile in HS that's the finish you always dreamed of.
Like Dave Wottle in the 1972 Munich Olympics.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I was completely disengaged from the Derby this year. I was only aware of it because I avoid campus on the Thursday and Friday before Derby because traffic is impossible anywhere near Churchill Downs. It was a good day to leave town to visit my daughter.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Fun story, I know nothing about horse racing, but we went to a Derby party at a friends yesterday. It was fun, we all dressed up, started drinking at like noon, had some BBQ, played games out in the yard, and watched the race. So there were 14 of us there and we all threw in ten bucks and picked a horse. I picked the long shot because why not? So I won 140 bucks, which I used to buy us all pizza after the race. We continued to drink and have fun until well into the night.

Best Kentucky Derby ever.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Radbird wrote:
May 8 22, 3:08 pm
Unbelievable
Well, that was pretty awesome.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

IMADreamer wrote:
May 8 22, 9:47 pm
Fun story, I know nothing about horse racing, but we went to a Derby party at a friends yesterday. It was fun, we all dressed up, started drinking at like noon, had some BBQ, played games out in the yard, and watched the race. So there were 14 of us there and we all threw in ten bucks and picked a horse. I picked the long shot because why not? So I won 140 bucks, which I used to buy us all pizza after the race. We continued to drink and have fun until well into the night.

Guess so! Congrats IMA.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
May 4 19, 5:45 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:Horse racing should be illegal
Meh, I definitely see the critics side. But they’re living animals alive solely because they’re able to race. They’re treated well and with respect during their lives. And, when necessary, they’re put to sleep in a - relative to most any death besides passing away during sleep - quick and painless manner. And that’s about as much as any living animal, including humans, could ask for on the mortal coil.
Its the same thing as people saying that meat is murder. What do you think people are going out of their way to raise and feed these cows, pigs and chickens for? No one is going to have a giant chicken farm just because. If everyone stopped eating meat these animal populations would go down dramatically.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Horse racing isn't too bad on the horses. Those horses live much better lives than some horses that live in normal settings in Jeff Co. Rodeo culture is 100x worse for the animals IMO.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

IMADreamer wrote:
May 8 22, 9:47 pm

Sounds like my kind of party. And that's probably exactly what I would have done with the winnings. Good for you on having a fun day!