Stanley Cup Finals 2019: Blues v. Bruins

A forum for non-baseball sports
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Stanley Cup Finals 2019: Blues v. Bruins

Post by Radbird »

Bud Light celebrating Blues first Stanley Cup win with limited-edition bottles

Can anyone hook me up with one of these babies? Prolly won't find many of them up here in NE.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Freed Roger wrote:the last to first accomplishment is grand.

But kind of surprised 15W 18L 4T (if i heard it right) had them at dead last.
That seems about right. There was a lot of parity throughout the league most of the way through the season, other than Tampa Bay dominating. Plus the Blues had a few less games played than most teams for a long time. So they had the fewest points at the time, not necessarily the lowest point percentage.

While I had lost most of my faith in December, I was still amazed at how a roster as talented as the Blues were struggling so much. Now I didn't think they would turn it around enough to win the Cup, but I did think they could pull out of it to grab a lower playoff spot.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Radbird wrote:Bud Light celebrating Blues first Stanley Cup win with limited-edition bottles

Can anyone hook me up with one of these babies? Prolly won't find many of them up here in NE.
I'll get one for you. IIRC, you sent me the GRB music tourney CDs years ago. I owe you. (and if that wasn't you, you're a good dude anyways)

Taking a half day off after lunch to go buy a Binner jersey (and other swag). I'm on under 3 hours sleep and WIDE AWAKE at work.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

It's fun when sports surprises you with the ability to take you back to your younger days when your fan enthusiasm is sky high. I just keep thinking about all the great captains they've had and it's #27 who finally got to lift the cup. So many great goalies that have passed through and it's #50 who finally got it done. All the LEGENDARY coaches and it's Berube. And so on. Worth the wait, imo, but I'm definitely not as die hard as a lot of you guys, so maybe I'm talking out of my butt.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

I need this...

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

GeddyWrox wrote:Image
Lol, Brett Hull memes trending big time

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

The hockey world is so happy with the crying marchand pictures and now I kind of feel bad for the guy.

Man, I would say that game was unbelievable but it really wasn't. Seems like we've seen it multiple times now.

What is unbelievable is that they actually did it! Couldn't sleep last night and can barely function now. Just....WOW. WHAT. A. RIDE.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Hockey people, I haven't heard much actual game analysis for last night. To my untrained eye, seemed like neutral zone play for Blues was strategically different/better. They were able to clear their zone effectively, typically with someone on Blues in the Neutral zone to make a play on cleared puck, so Boston wasnt able to play it back in, in a breakway or organized way.

With clearing zone, it appeared Blues stopped busting it in general and around the boards to get it out, instead more of a pass or a chip to mid ice where they got someone to contend. Then Blues made their offensive breaks count.

It was like a reversal of game 1 and 6, for Blues Bruins

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Freed Roger wrote:Hockey people: am I wrong? , seemed like neutral zone play for Blues was strategically different/better. They seemed to be able to clear their zone effectively, typically with someone on Blues in the Neutral zone to make a play in cleared puck.

With clearing zone, it appeared Blues stopped busting it in general and around the boards to get it out, instead more of a pass or a chip to mid ice where they got someone to contend. Then Blues made their offensive breaks count.

It was like a reversal of game 1 and 6, for Blues Bruins
I actually thought a lot of their defensive and neutral zone play was worse last night, especially the first period. I could probably count on one hand how many clean zone entries the Blues made--they were dumping and chasing all night. In the defensive zone, they struggled to get pucks cleared. Lots of giveaways on breakout attempts.

They did have active sticks, and blocked/deflected a lot of shots. I thought they improved the forecheck by not being quite as aggressive, which was working against them in many ways when the Bruins could make their breakout pass and even though they took a big hit, their forwards were heading up ice with a head full of steam catching the Blues in bad defensive positions.

They played smarter, more disciplined, and Binnington saved their asses in the first period. It has to suck for Boston to know they played a really good game 7, but just couldn't bury pucks early to get momentum. I like that it hurts even more for them.