Stanley Cup Finals 2019: Blues v. Bruins

A forum for non-baseball sports
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Stanley Cup Finals 2019: Blues v. Bruins

Post by JCShutout »

Popeye_Card wrote:I thought they improved the forecheck by not being quite as aggressive, which was working against them in many ways when the Bruins could make their breakout pass and even though they took a big hit, their forwards were heading up ice with a head full of steam catching the Blues in bad defensive positions.

They played smarter, more disciplined, and Binnington saved their asses in the first period. It has to suck for Boston to know they played a really good game 7, but just couldn't bury pucks early to get momentum. I like that it hurts even more for them.
I was typing something but it was essetially this. Better forecheck. Relentless stickwork. And people will probably forget how huge Binner was because the final score looked like a blowout. He made 4 or 5 saves in the 1st that can only be described as "Holy [expletive]" saves to keep the game scoreless. Another in the 3rd when it's only 2-0. If ANY of those go in, its a totally different game. (Just like if the Blues score on any of their chances in game 6 before Boston's 2nd goal, that game is probably very different)

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

JCShutout wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:I thought they improved the forecheck by not being quite as aggressive, which was working against them in many ways when the Bruins could make their breakout pass and even though they took a big hit, their forwards were heading up ice with a head full of steam catching the Blues in bad defensive positions.

They played smarter, more disciplined, and Binnington saved their asses in the first period. It has to suck for Boston to know they played a really good game 7, but just couldn't bury pucks early to get momentum. I like that it hurts even more for them.
I was typing something but it was essetially this. Better forecheck. Relentless stickwork. And people will probably forget how huge Binner was because the final score looked like a blowout. He made 4 or 5 saves in the 1st that can only be described as "Holy [expletive]" saves to keep the game scoreless. Another in the 3rd when it's only 2-0. If ANY of those go in, its a totally different game. (Just like if the Blues score on any of their chances in game 6 before Boston's 2nd goal, that game is probably very different)
As Deadspin (whose coverage has been surprisingly great) pointed out, the Sequence where Binnington makes an insane, doing the splits, blocker kick save, then Pietrangelo scores the goal to go up 2-0, just crushed the Bruins. That sequence was the ballgame.

https://deadspin.com/one-sequence-choke ... 1835480920

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

JCShutout wrote:

I was amazed by Binner last night - he won that game for them last night with that first period.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Granted, I missed first 15 mins off the clock. My winning superstition pattern entailed going about my normal before coming home to watch the rest of game. Blues lost every time I made a dedicated effort to watch from the pre-game/start. My wife considered me nuts, as we had about 10 Hs friends of my daughter over to watch.

Last night, normal busn for me was going to track for a group workout. Needless to say, it was sparesly attended. Then it started pouring. After it was over, it was surreal running home about mile and half, knowing the game had started, in a storm, and not much traffic on the roads

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

The Jaden Schwartz play leading to Pietrangelo goal was brilliant.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Like some here, I'm still not 100% sure that actually happened last night. Last night was so much fun watching with the same group that I saw the previous four wins (and one loss Sunday) with. After the second goal my hand was numb from all of the high fives but it was OK because once they scored the third goal everybody switched to hugs and it didn't matter if you'd never seen that person on your life before that moment, they were getting a hug.

To me, this post season reminded me a lot of 2011 for the Cards in small ways. I had been thinking that for the past few weeks but was afraid to say it out loud until it was over.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Freed Roger wrote:The Jaden Schwartz play leading to Pietrangelo goal was brilliant.
The Tarasenko to Schenn goal was gorgeous too.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I can finally discuss my playoff superstitions without fear of retribution from the hockey gods.

My main one surrounded the Lucky Keg. As the playoffs began, I had a nearly-empty 1/6 bbl keg of Schlafly Coffee Stout that I was wanting to drain so that I could swap it out when I was back in StL in May. So I started drinking it during the games. Through trial and error through the first two rounds, I came to learn that the following rules applied to the Lucky Keg:

a.) I could only drink 1 StL beer on game days. That came to be the pour from the Lucky Keg. I could drink other beers, but they had to be from outside the StL area. That included A-B/InBev products.
b.) I must pour my glass prior to sitting down and starting the game.
c.) The first sip must take place after puck drop.
d.) The beer must be consumed prior to the end of the 1st period.
e.) I could not consume a beer from the same area as the opposing team during the game.

Occasionally I would stray from the rules. I'd accidentally drink a Budweiser in the afternoon prior to game night. I'd forget to pour my beer before the game started. I drank a Sam Adams during game 1 of the SCF. But when I followed the rules, it worked.

The Lucky Keg was also miraculous. When the playoffs started I thought it only had a few pints left. But the keg kept on giving. And giving. And giving. Until game 3 of the SCF. I blew the keg. [expletive]. Sure enough, blowout loss.

So I placed 3 bottles of Coffee Stout in the beer fridge. One for each victory the Blues still needed. This worked for games 4 and 5. The final one did not work for game 6. [expletive]. So before I went to bed that night, I placed 3 more Coffee Stouts in the fridge--surely the hockey gods required at least one cold one still in the fridge, ready to roll.

Of course that worked. Game 7 victory.

You're welcome.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Popeye_Card wrote:I can finally discuss my playoff superstitions without fear of retribution from the hockey gods.

My main one surrounded the Lucky Keg. As the playoffs began, I had a nearly-empty 1/6 bbl keg of Schlafly Coffee Stout that I was wanting to drain so that I could swap it out when I was back in StL in May. So I started drinking it during the games. Through trial and error through the first two rounds, I came to learn that the following rules applied to the Lucky Keg:

a.) I could only drink 1 StL beer on game days. That came to be the pour from the Lucky Keg. I could drink other beers, but they had to be from outside the StL area. That included A-B/InBev products.
b.) I must pour my glass prior to sitting down and starting the game.
c.) The first sip must take place after puck drop.
d.) The beer must be consumed prior to the end of the 1st period.
e.) I could not consume a beer from the same area as the opposing team during the game.

Occasionally I would stray from the rules. I'd accidentally drink a Budweiser in the afternoon prior to game night. I'd forget to pour my beer before the game started. I drank a Sam Adams during game 1 of the SCF. But when I followed the rules, it worked.

The Lucky Keg was also miraculous. When the playoffs started I thought it only had a few pints left. But the keg kept on giving. And giving. And giving. Until game 3 of the SCF. I blew the keg. [expletive]. Sure enough, blowout loss.

So I placed 3 bottles of Coffee Stout in the beer fridge. One for each victory the Blues still needed. This worked for games 4 and 5. The final one did not work for game 6. [expletive]. So before I went to bed that night, I placed 3 more Coffee Stouts in the fridge--surely the hockey gods required at least one cold one still in the fridge, ready to roll.

Of course that worked. Game 7 victory.

You're welcome.
This is Brett Hull approved...