There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Stanley Cup Finals 2019: Blues v. Bruins

Post by Radbird »

A nice way to spend 5:40

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Congratulations to everybody, what an amazing run.

Felt the need to stop by since I know how passionate so many of you are about the Blues, and besides, this is more than just hockey fans, this is a big deal for the entire city.

My sister and I watched all of 2006 and 2011 runs together and celebrated together. Those were amazing times, but there's something different about this. We all have expectations that the Cardinals will compete and win championships (maybe not lately). For the Blues, we've been gut punched so many times and it just felt like it could never happen.

I live 1000 miles from St. Louis now, and my sister was sent to Europe for work over Game 7. Her hotel's wifi was terrible and couldn't get the game to stream. I ended up video calling her with my phone and had it pointed at the TV for the entire game. It was actually pretty cool to "watch" the game with her. As the last seconds of the game passed, she started crying, something I didn't see her do during the Cardinals runs.

I think the rest of the nation can say "Wow, that's cool that they broke a long drought." but really nobody else will understand what it really was like. Seeing so many great players, great coaches, great teams come through here and never get close. I don't even think this can compare to how a couple of baseball teams broke their "curses". I never felt like we were cursed, and I never heard anybody use that term. Game 6 is how my entire life of being a Blues fan felt like... Strong play, incredibly high effort and will but just a constant barrage of misfortune. It was like no matter how hard we pushed we were just going to be left disappointed.

I know everybody wanted to win Game 6 and lift the Cup at home, but the way this year has gone, could you really picture this going any other way than getting kicked in the nuts to force a Game 7 and bouncing back?

Enjoy the win, have a few beers at the celebrations in St. Louis for me. I can't imagine a city more deserving of this than St. Louis. Let's Go Blues!

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

JCShutout wrote:
Radbird wrote:Bud Light celebrating Blues first Stanley Cup win with limited-edition bottles

Can anyone hook me up with one of these babies? Prolly won't find many of them up here in NE.
I'll get one for you. IIRC, you sent me the GRB music tourney CDs years ago. I owe you. (and if that wasn't you, you're a good dude anyways)

Taking a half day off after lunch to go buy a Binner jersey (and other swag). I'm on under 3 hours sleep and WIDE AWAKE at work.
Lol yeah that was probably me, I used to love making “mix tape” CDs back in the ancient pre-streaming days.

Thanks much, JC. Greatly appreciated.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

cards2468 wrote:Congratulations to everybody, what an amazing run.

Felt the need to stop by since I know how passionate so many of you are about the Blues, and besides, this is more than just hockey fans, this is a big deal for the entire city.

My sister and I watched all of 2006 and 2011 runs together and celebrated together. Those were amazing times, but there's something different about this. We all have expectations that the Cardinals will compete and win championships (maybe not lately). For the Blues, we've been gut punched so many times and it just felt like it could never happen.

I live 1000 miles from St. Louis now, and my sister was sent to Europe for work over Game 7. Her hotel's wifi was terrible and couldn't get the game to stream. I ended up video calling her with my phone and had it pointed at the TV for the entire game. It was actually pretty cool to "watch" the game with her. As the last seconds of the game passed, she started crying, something I didn't see her do during the Cardinals runs.

I think the rest of the nation can say "Wow, that's cool that they broke a long drought." but really nobody else will understand what it really was like. Seeing so many great players, great coaches, great teams come through here and never get close. I don't even think this can compare to how a couple of baseball teams broke their "curses". I never felt like we were cursed, and I never heard anybody use that term. Game 6 is how my entire life of being a Blues fan felt like... Strong play, incredibly high effort and will but just a constant barrage of misfortune. It was like no matter how hard we pushed we were just going to be left disappointed.

I know everybody wanted to win Game 6 and lift the Cup at home, but the way this year has gone, could you really picture this going any other way than getting kicked in the nuts to force a Game 7 and bouncing back?

Enjoy the win, have a few beers at the celebrations in St. Louis for me. I can't imagine a city more deserving of this than St. Louis. Let's Go Blues!
Great to see you here, man! Hope life is treating you alright.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Popeye_Card wrote: The Lucky Keg was also miraculous. When the playoffs started I thought it only had a few pints left. But the keg kept on giving. And giving. And giving. Until game 3 of the SCF. I blew the keg. [expletive]. Sure enough, blowout loss.
This is essentially the story of Chanukah, in keg form. Have you considered founding an organized religion?

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

heyzeus wrote:

Great to see you guys too.

Life is going well. Got my own little dude to enjoy these moments with now as well (well, he has no idea what's going on since he just turned 1, but he enjoys the excitement, and now I'll get to tell him when he grows up that his first full season as a Blues fan they won their first Stanley Cup).

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Radbird wrote: A nice way to spend 5:40
I WANT 10 PART NETFLIX SERIES ON ENTIRE SEASOn

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I'm a grown man I'm not supposed to have these feels

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

grew up a redwings fan, adopted the preds after taking a hiatus from hockey for a few years, and became a blues fan this week.

wow i'm on some kind of run!

just kidding, i'm not that much of fairweather fan, but i was rooting for STL for many reasons, but most importantly because F BOSTON.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

cards2468 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Great to see you guys too.

Life is going well. Got my own little dude to enjoy these moments with now as well (well, he has no idea what's going on since he just turned 1, but he enjoys the excitement, and now I'll get to tell him when he grows up that his first full season as a Blues fan they won their first Stanley Cup).
Man, that's great. You will cherish these memories. My son was born in September 2011 when it looked like we might not even make the postseason at all, and I watched the entire playoff run with him either snoozing on my lap or sitting beside me. I will always consider him my good luck charm in life.