A really great way to spend 10 minutes.

https://www.nhl.com/video/series-rewind ... rId=nhl-rr

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Post by CardsofSTL »

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Finally get a chance to express my joy here on the championship!

I still think Boston was better, maybe skilled is a better word, but the Blues played harder in some games and just took it. I do have a few thoughts (this is all from a non-player's eyes, but it is what I saw):

I think every team they played just got tired of getting hit. Boston took it as well as any of them, but you could see sometimes they weren't willing to take a hit to keep possession.

Jordan was unbeatable at times, but had several bad goals scored too. That game with the 2 five hole goals...just confusing I guess. I hope he'll be great for them for a long, long time. 'Do I look nervous'...I catch myself saying that a lot.

The ability to come back after a bad loss...amazing. That says something about the coaching, but the players too.

I feel bad and great at the same time for all of my favorites from the past that didn't get to win, but seem to be enjoying this anyway. I will forget names, but Mayers, Twister, Chaser, Turgeon, Backmann, Prongs, McGinnis, McTavish, Demitra, Hull, Shanny, Joseph, Fuhr, Keenan (wait, f him), Janny, Young, that young defenseman that name starts with an S I can't remember...so many more.

Steen, just great. He's a guy I even forget is on the team, he just plays. Awesome.

WTF happened to Jake Allen? He was Spectacular a couple of years ago, now it looks like he couldn't stop an Oreo from dropping in a milk jug.

I've been a Blues fan since whenever the Whalers folded up and moved. I have always thought they play better on the road and have no idea why.

My first trip to St. Louis, we ate at Brett Hull's restaurant. Still have the menu that we, um, 'borrowed'. Love that dude.

How many times in hockey does a goalie make a spectacular save, then the other team goes to the other end and scores a goal and makes them pay? Happens very often it seems.

Kudos to whatever it is with the Blues that makes former players feel at home even after going somewhere else. Still cuts me that Hull went where he went, but whateves.

WHAT A FUN PLAYOFF SEASON. Nice to not feel like I just got punched in the gut after they get knocked out seemingly too early every year.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Great post Leroy. Was unaware you are a Blues fan.

Tangent: it really is cool, what this Stanley Cup does for city/area. I definitely like it here and if they lost would have continued to enjoy Forest Park, the Cardinal season, maybe a show at the Muny, underrated and abundant food, beer, music scene etc etc etc etc. But the win just puts a collective extra bounce in our step and enhanced appreciation of everything else around here all the more.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

CardsofSTL wrote:

I heard on the radio today they estimated 1.5 million people downtown for the parade. That's just nuts.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

If you watch the replay of the parade on Fox 2 check out 1:44:14 and you'll see Tarasenko pluck my friend's son from his wife's arms and hold him for pictures. His brother-in-law was right there with them and he's in a wheel chair. Alex P. brought him out from the crowd and wheeled him over to hold the cup!

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

tlombard wrote:If you watch the replay of the parade on Fox 2 check out 1:44:14 and you'll see Tarasenko pluck my friend's son from his wife's arms and hold him for pictures. His brother-in-law was right there with them and he's in a wheel chair. Alex P. brought him out from the crowd and wheeled him over to hold the cup!
Yep, between the impromptu at OB Clarks thru Sat, the Blues/Blues fan relationship looks as grand and genuine as could be. The fan base goodwill is about as huge as could be imagined.

I mean, they are young guys living it up, so it's possible something not-positive could come out of this ( Patrick Kane-esque deadspin gotchas or worse ), but so far all the Blues got on them is hot mike f-bombs (that reeally is a laughable reach) and possibly somethin somethin Brett Hull on the East side with a chinchilla.
BTW, OB Clark on Saturday afternoon was out the door packed again based on rumors players were coming back to party
Last edited by Freed Roger on June 17 19, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Someone on LGB dug around and uncovered this gem. The 3rd round pick used to draft Binnington... we got it in a trade with TB in 2011... when we sent them Eric Brewer.

BEST TRADE EVER!!!!!

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

I don't want to post anything since it's behind a paywall, but Athletic subscribers should read Jeremy Rutherford's recap of the parade. They got to ride along with Jake Allen as he interacted with fans - really, really good stuff.

I've always paid more attention to the Cardinals than the Blues, but watching the playoffs this year and seeing the joy at the parade, the way the players interacted with fans and made them part of the celebration ... it's so, so cool. This is a great bunch of guys, and I'm sure the Blues have brought plenty of new fans into the fold while also validating the long-suffering fans who've waited years and years for this to happen. They really made it a party for the whole city.

St. Louis gets a lot of grief, but it's an incredible sports city. And yes, there's more to life than sports, but this is a pretty powerful indicator of what a uniting force sports can be. The last few months have risen close to the top of all my sports memories, and yes, I've already ordered a sh*t ton of Blues paraphernalia.