St Louis Blues Greatest Offseason Thread Ever

A forum for non-baseball sports
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: St Louis Blues Greatest Offseason Thread Ever

Post by JCShutout »

No need to apologize about talking hockey on a hockey forum. lol. If there was, I'd have a LOT to apologize for.

I agree about the Blues depth, but its still an exhausting style of play. Also, the Blues likely don't make it out of round 1 without a crazy game 5 3rd period. (I mean, baseballing the winning puck out of mid air with 15 seconds to go, really?) Round 2 without Parayko shooting a bazooka at Bishop, (Imagine game 7 if Bishop is 100%) and they probably don't have a 2-0 lead after the 1st in game 7 of the Finals if Binnington wasn't wielding Mjolnir.

Doesn't mean the Blues aren't good and don't have depth. Just means that a couple of bounces could have ended the historic run early, and it means that they can be equally as dominant and only make it to the 2nd or 3rd round. A rough stretch and maybe they are 3rd again. Just get in and you have a chance.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Post by baseburglerlou »

2-0 solid performance over Stars last night. In a game that meant, well, nothing.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Blues just dealt Edmundson and Bokk + picks for D-man Faulk from the Hurricanes. Subsequently sign him to a big extension. I don't know much about the guy but he sounds like a top 4 defenseman.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

The St. Louis Blues have acquired Justin Faulk and a 2020 fifth-round pick from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Joel Edmundson, Dominik Bokk and a 2020 seventh-round.

Faulk then signed signed a seven-year, $45.5 million contract extension with St. Louis. His current contract runs through 2019-20, so he'll be 35-years-old when this deal is up. He had been the subject of trade rumors since the Hurricanes signed Jake Gardiner and moving him addresses the Hurricanes' defensive logjam. Meanwhile, St. Louis is helping stabilize their long-term blueline situation, especially with Alex Pietrangelo on the final season of his contract. Faulk had 11 goals and 35 points in 82 games last season while averaging 22:25 minutes.

SOURCE: Blues.nhl.com
Sep 24, 2019, 2:11 PM ET
admittedly I don't follow other teams as much as in other sports, but seems like a great offensive defenseman, but his +/- seems worrisome? anyone know if he's a liability on defense?

and hate to lose bokk

baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Post by baseburglerlou »

From what I have read this seems to be insurance in case we can't sign Petro. Some now are thinking this means Petro's last year with the Blues.

And on Faulk a solid offensive performer and not the greatest on D. Big minus rating attributed to his team being pretty bad during that stretch.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I'm SHOCKED they traded Bokk. SHOCKED.

Faulk seems like a good offensive dman, but with the extension, Petro is gone. Hate to say it because I love him, but the Blues can't afford Petro, Parayko, Dunn ($2-3m next year?) AND Faulk unless you find a taker for Steen AND Bozak. Or I guess you could just let Schenn go. :-(

Even if we did resign Petro, we can only protect 3 dmen from Seattle. Are we really going to expose the 28 year old making $6.5m or the 31(?) year old making $8-$9m in Petro?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

We needed another RHD so that we didn’t have to keep skating Bortuzzo every night.

We have 6 pretty darn good d-men now. Petro/Parayko/Faulk on the right, J-bo/Dunn/Gunner on the left. Faulk can take some of Petro’s PP minutes to keep him fresher.

I like it. We can figure out how it impacts Petro/the future later.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I mean, I agree we are STACKED on D this year, but next year someone will have to go.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Probably BS, but...