St Louis Blues Greatest Offseason Thread Ever

A forum for non-baseball sports
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: St Louis Blues Greatest Offseason Thread Ever

Post by lukethedrifter »

JCShutout wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.
I saw that, but is there some determination of games played in a year that denotes a "year" played? Like with rookies, where if you play under 25 games in your "first" season, you're still a rookie in your "second" season.

If its playing in any number of games, then I'd sign Maroon and keep Kyrou buried all year, so that next year is his "second" season, so he isn't eligible in the 2021 expansion draft. (He's only 21, so its not like another year in the minors will stunt him too bad)
Didn’t the other paragraphs answer your question re number of games.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

lukethedrifter wrote:Didn’t the other paragraphs answer your question re number of games.
lukethedrifter wrote:* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
If you mean the bold, I thought that was specifying that teams had to expose at least 3 players who meet those requirements. Keeping teams from basically coordinating their entire roster to be protected players, young players not eligible and expiring contracts. That way you have to leave 3 someones serviceable enough to have played in at least half of your teams games who actually have a contract for the next year.

The toughest one there for the Blues will be Defense unless they sign Edmundson for more than 2 years. At F, Perron will fit that qualification, and there will be another forward who plays 40/70 who is signed in 21/22, (One of Blais, Sanford, Fabbri will qualify and be resigned I'll bet) but on D, assuming Edmundson is gone, Bortz is probably the guy as long as he plays in enough games (not a given) as Reinke and Mikkola haven't played any games yet, so will, at most, be 2nd year players.

EDIT: Reinke played in one game this year, so if he plays one game in each of the next two years, would he be exposed? Seems like a silly rule. There's gotta be a 25 game minimum to count as a "season" or even 10 games or something.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Is it the same rules as the "rookie" season count of 9 games? Once you hit the 10th regular season game, that contract year starts.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

No clue JoD. Hoping to find out somewhere. That would make a big difference with how Kyrou and possibly Reinke are played/not played.

Blues inked their 1st pick of this past draft (2nd rounder).

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I like the Blues offer. I like Eddy, but after last year, he was, at times, a decent #4. At times, a solid 3rd pairing guy, and at times, in the booth. That's not a $4m player.

I know that won't get it done, but they Blues made some moves to get internal options to replace him if necessary, so they are offering a smart amount since they don't NEED him.

EDIT: Looks like McCabe and the Sabres agreed to a 2 year, $2.85m deal, and their numbers were further apart that the Blues and Eddy. McCabe was asking for $4.3 and the Sabers offered $1.9 and some change.

I don't know the PK and other metrics that the Blues and Eddy's lawyers will cite, but those numbers, ages and draft spots all look awfully similar. McCabe is a year younger but each has basically played 4 seasons.
McCabe: 274 ga, 14 go, 47 a, 61 p -19 (plays on an awful team)
Eddy: 269 ga, 13 go, 39 a, 52 p +18 (plays on a much better team) (Where is my Stanley cup emoji?)

Anyone take Eddy for the same deal? I would.
Last edited by JCShutout on August 3 19, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

JackofDiamonds wrote:Is it the same rules as the "rookie" season count of 9 games? Once you hit the 10th regular season game, that contract year starts.
Someone on LGB was nice enough to find the info and post it.

Basically, before age 20, its 9 games, but AHL games count as pro, so Kyrou, Mikkola, Reinke and probably Kostin will all be eligible for the 2021 draft. Gonna be tough. The Blues are going to lose a talented player. Also, that means there is no point (imo) in signing Maroon unless its for one year, and you think you need him for depth. (Kyrou, others need more time, etc)

If I'm the Blues and its right now, I'd protect Tank, ROR, Schwartz, Schenn (hope!) and Thomas for sure. That's 5. It would be hard to leave one of Sund and Barb exposed, but I would (probably Barb) in order to keep Kyrou, so at this time, I'll say Sund and Kyrou. On D its Petro (hope!) Parayko and Dunn. Of course Binner, hoping he is great and resigns.

That would leave Seattle with the following intriguing players to pick from:
Perron, Sanford, Barb, Fabbri, Kostin, Blais and some less notable names. On D, Mikkola, Bortz, maybe Edmundson if we have him. At G, Husso and maybe Fitz (I haven't looked that deep.

Right now, I could see them taking any of Sanford, Barbashev, Kostin, Edmundson (depending on the contract) or Husso. Just depends on who is available around the rest of the league. It would suck to lose one of those guys for nothing, but its only one guy. Also, who knows where we will be in two years. Guys could be traded. Could bust. Could break out. Get injured. /knock on wood

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

No news on Eddy, but saw this from yesterday on Barbie.
4 years at Sanford money? DO IT.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

seems about right...just leaves barbie, correct?

anyone know what's left cap-wise now?

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

cardsfantx wrote:seems about right...just leaves barbie, correct?

anyone know what's left cap-wise now?
According to this site, about $1.9 million: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blues