Women’s WC Soccer France 2019

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Women’s WC Soccer France 2019

Post by thrill »

I, too, bought a new 4 stars Rapinoe jersey and it set me back like $120.

Also, three men over the age of 30 buying a women's national team jersey just shows how much upside the sport has when everything is hitting right. Megan Rapinoe is an exceptional person/athlete/figurehead and that's what you need when you're trying to build a mainstream attraction. Hopefully in the future, women don't need that front woman to break into the public consciousness and over 30 men are buying less charismatic player jerseys because they're really good at soccer.

And 33, to your point about Pulisic, more american kids today know who Megan Rapinoe is, but in three years when they've all been playing with or against Chelsea in FIFA, possibly the biggest video game franchise in the world, he'll be bigger. He's only 20 and Rapinoe is 34. He'll be known for his play IRL and his high ranking in FIFA. It's a perfect encapsulation of privilege where the man is free to mostly let his play speak for himself while in order for the woman to get equal notoriety, they have to be this perfect, shining beacon of representation and public leadership for certain huge chunks of the population, not to mention has to win more under more public/political scrutiny.

Btw, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I don't watch NWSL. I've never been to an NWSL match. I only occasionally watch the WNT outside of the World Cup and the Olympics. I don't tune into random friendlies or the "She Believes Cup" to support them. I've probably missed less than 5 MNT matches in the last 15 years. I go to MLS games every year despite not living in an MLS market. I regularly watch random MLS games and I watch almost every Sounders game. I'm not waving the flag for equality with my consumption habits.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

120 on the US Soccer thing's official website, you pick the blank personalized jersey then there's a drop-down of approved name/number combos, she's on there.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

thrill wrote:I go to MLS games every year despite not living in an MLS market. I regularly watch random MLS games and I watch almost every Sounders game. I'm not waving the flag for equality with my consumption habits.
Not to derail the thread, but how are you considering your fandom with the likelihood of a St. Louis franchise? I've been struggling with it myself, I've followed the Sounders for a few years now and they're fun and good and well run, but I'm excited by the fact that I could have a team that I share with my closest friends for the first time since rooting for Mizzou(which I'm not really into anymore), plus watch live on a regular basis. It seems likely both will be western conference teams too, which complicates any effort to kinda support both.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I don't really think too much about club loyalty. I went from Sounders appreciator to Sounders fan when they signed Dempsey. I've definitely watched fewer games since he retired. Haven't attended any. I used to watch every Chelsea game and then my favorite players (Essien, Drogba, and Lampard) aged out and I stopped because their constant managerial carousel, players like Diego Costa, and the creepy owner made it toxic. I'll watch every game I can with Pulisic there and will probably consider them my team as long as he's contributing regularly.

I don't think I'll transition right into being a St Louis fan unless they give me a reason like a certain player or what not. I doubt that happens. We'll see. I could go back to just following specific players if my Sounders fandom continues to deflate. Everything in soccer for me is still about the national team.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

thrill wrote:I don't really think too much about club loyalty. I went from Sounders appreciator to Sounders fan when they signed Dempsey. I've definitely watched fewer games since he retired. Haven't attended any. I used to watch every Chelsea game and then my favorite players (Essien, Drogba, and Lampard) aged out and I stopped because their constant managerial carousel, players like Diego Costa, and the creepy owner made it toxic. I'll watch every game I can with Pulisic there and will probably consider them my team as long as he's contributing regularly.

I don't think I'll transition right into being a St Louis fan unless they give me a reason like a certain player or what not. I doubt that happens. We'll see. I could go back to just following specific players if my Sounders fandom continues to deflate. Everything in soccer for me is still about the national team.
Sounds like the new generation of NBA fan--roots for players not organizations. Which I'm in the camp of in almost all sports that I follow now.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

33anda3rd wrote:Sounds like the new generation of NBA fan--roots for players not organizations. Which I'm in the camp of in almost all sports that I follow now.
I could never do it in baseball, but it's honestly a better, more entertaining way to follow a sport.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

thrill wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Sounds like the new generation of NBA fan--roots for players not organizations. Which I'm in the camp of in almost all sports that I follow now.
I could never do it in baseball, but it's honestly a better, more entertaining way to follow a sport.
Exactly the same for me.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

That's really interesting, because I cannot imagine doing that. We've talked about this in an 'feats of athleticism v. competition' sense for the NBA before, but I'm just not wired that way.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I couldn't do it either. Right now I don't watch any MLS (or soccer at all unless it is the sporadic STL FC or US National teams) but if the MLS comes to St. Louis, there is a 99% chance that I will be buying season tickets.

I support all local teams and I just don't think I can ever be a fan of a team from any other city in any sport these days. Heck, I'm even considering buying season tickets to the XFL if they would ever put some more information out there other than season ticket deposits are being taken for $50 each.