XFL

A forum for non-baseball sports
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: XFL

Post by tlombard »

Anybody make it to the game yesterday? I had to resort to watching at a bar but it looked like a ton of fun down there and it was a lot of fun at the bar too. They Battlehawks handled their business and it was great!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

No but my Dad and I are going next week. I figured it would be fun to go and that the league might not last 2 years. If it is actually popular and not just ironically popular, (which will get old) then who knows.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I don't expect the league to be around long but I am cautiously optimistic. My thinking is that St. Louis will support the Battlehawks but I'm worried about the other cities which already have NFL teams.

I think they need to eventually get into non-NFL cities but before they do that, they need to have some more momentum and be a bit more established. I just have no idea where that line is or if they can even last long enough to get there before the fans in current NFL cities lose their interest which would sink the league if they can't move into non-NFL markets that can sustain the league.

I honestly don't have faith that the fans in NFL cities will stick around in enough numbers after the novelty wears off. They already have their NFL which they take seriously and for many of them the XFL is just a fun diversion and their loyalty will always remain with the NFL teams and I get it.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Looked like a fun atmosphere when I watched online

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

They probably should have just started with mostly non-nfl cities, though maybe they wanted cities with already established stadiums.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

JCShutout wrote:
February 24 20, 1:16 pm
They probably should have just started with mostly non-nfl cities, though maybe they wanted cities with already established stadiums.
I think the issue with non-NFL cities is that the AAFL was already claiming the best markets left (other than St. Louis for some reason) and the XFL couldn't assume that the AAFL would fold during their first season.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

It would be really weird right now if the AAF was somehow able to survive until their 2nd season and you had both leagues going on right now, it definitely would've dilluted the XFL player quality even more so then it already is.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I think the games that I've watched (mainly Battlehawks, others just on in the background) have been played pretty well as far as execution and the talent level isn't NFL quality but it is still pretty good. Sure the first week was sloppy all around but they had never played together against another team before so I can accept that. I'm loving the league so far, especially times like last Sunday when we got to hear the officials discussing the penalties and sorting it out before making some of the calls. I found it really interesting to hear their discussions and what went into their decisions instead of being confused as to what they actually saw.