2019 College Football

A forum for non-baseball sports
ndistops
All-Star

Re: 2019 College Football

Post by ndistops »

That was a really cool article, I just read it in the mag yesterday.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

apparently Sterk at mizzou brought 3 names for the HC job to the BOC and all were rejected/BOC wants a big name it's rumored; Arkansas State’s Blake Anderson, Army’s Jeff Monken and Louisiana Tech’s Skip Holtz were the names presented.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college ... 4328a.html

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

cardsfantx wrote:apparently Sterk at mizzou brought 3 names for the HC job to the BOC and all were rejected/BOC wants a big name it's rumored; Arkansas State’s Blake Anderson, Army’s Jeff Monken and Louisiana Tech’s Skip Holtz were the names presented.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college ... 4328a.html
Meanwhile Ole Miss is about to hire Lane Kiffin.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Arkansas gets Pittman.

Mizzou gets Drinkwitz.

Of the three Drink, Pitt, Kiffin, I'll go out on a limb here and say Kiffin is the last coach I'd want of the three.

Pittman is kind of a question mark. He's Georgia's offensive line coach. He's best known for his recruiting prowess and being a football guy, presumably one that can rally the troops...kind of like a Houston Nutt or Orgeron. But, no one knows really what kind of offense he'll run or what his defense will look like. He's been an assistant for the better part of 25 years. If he can recruit, coach, motivate, and put together effective game plans, then adapt as necessary, he could be a GREAT coach. But, that's kind of a blanket statement that you could say about anyone. Like I said, he's kind of a wild card. Arkansans seem to be pretty pumped, so that's good.

Drinkwitz is likely going to be more in the mold of Malzahn as he got his star under him and continued from there. App State obviously had a great year and I love it when teams go out and get guys like him. He's a guy that can be expected to have a coherent game plan going in. App State beat two Power 5 teams this year, but that doesn't mean anything going forward, per se. Malzahn has really pulled up on the reigns from his original all out hurry up run as many plays as possible, especially when he took over the helm at Auburn. It's just not realistic to think a team is going to score its way to victories anymore. And, running 3 plays in 30 seconds and then punting really stresses a defense. Even the most powerful offenses, and it's almost impossible for Mizzou to go backwards on this side of the ball, are used to control the clock as much as they are to score 50 points anymore. Again, because if they score in 30 seconds, that still puts a lot of stress on the defense. If he can bring an offense to Mizzou that allows them to score effectively and maintains their defensive prowess, this could be a great hire. But, there's a lot of work to do for either of those things to happen. Still, it's a good hire and could work out brilliantly. Here's to hoping.

I don't get the love for Lane Kiffin. He's a notorious [expletive] head and has been fired three times mid-season in the last 10 years (Raiders, USC, Alabama) so pardon me for not thinking he's some major get. He's a big name and can probably be considered a good offensive mind. But, he's not been a good head coach anywhere outside FAU, and even that isn't incredibly impressive.

Going forward, it's kind of wide open. I can see an argument for any coach being the best get and/or outperforming the other ones. In the end, time will tell, I guess. But, as a Mizzou fan, I'd rather hav eDrinkwitz than Kiffin and probably Pittman as well. So, Kudos to Sterk and the board for making a solid decision.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I’m kinda surprised that bill Clark’s name didn’t get more run. He probably could have come cheap too