Re: 2019 College Football

Post by CardsofSTL »

TigCards wrote:ahem !
LSU's win didn't surprise me at all

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

LSU has a lot of talent, and that entire team has bought into whatever Coach O is selling. It was good to see Alabama come back and fight in the 2nd half. One of the, if not the, most entertaining game of the year so far.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Bye Bye Chad Morris.

This didn't play into the decision, but when he said their roster had deficiencies and that's why they lost was sick. Not that it really matters, but it's worth noting, Arkansas for the past 5 years or so has had recruiting classes that rank in the top 30 in the nation. WKU has never had one that ranked above 80th. Ty Storey was forced out at Arkansas by Morris in favor of...one of the 14 different QBs they've played this year. Would have been Storey's senior day at Arkansas had he stayed. And, there's no doubt he outplayed pretty much everyone on Arkansas' side of the ball.

On top of that, the question was asked of Morris why Boyd only had 8 touches when he was averaging 20+ yards a carry and he said something along the lines of 'balance' and that was just a completely stupid answer.

In short, Morris can [expletive] off. No one bought into what he was selling. And, it showed. Should be interesting how Arkansas finishes the season. They're not a terribly deficient team talent wise and have a huge task going to Baton Rouge. But, the Mizzou game is looking more and more winnable.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Bye Bye Chad Morris.

This didn't play into the decision, but when he said their roster had deficiencies and that's why they lost was sick. Not that it really matters, but it's worth noting, Arkansas for the past 5 years or so has had recruiting classes that rank in the top 30 in the nation. WKU has never had one that ranked above 80th. Ty Storey was forced out at Arkansas by Morris in favor of...one of the 14 different QBs they've played this year. Would have been Storey's senior day at Arkansas had he stayed. And, there's no doubt he outplayed pretty much everyone on Arkansas' side of the ball.

On top of that, the question was asked of Morris why Boyd only had 8 touches when he was averaging 20+ yards a carry and he said something along the lines of 'balance' and that was just a completely stupid answer.

In short, Morris can [expletive] off. No one bought into what he was selling. And, it showed. Should be interesting how Arkansas finishes the season. They're not a terribly deficient team talent wise and have a huge task going to Baton Rouge. But, the Mizzou game is looking more and more winnable.
There was a column in the Louisville newspaper about Arkansas fans' interest in a reunion with Petrino. Do you see the athletic program being interested, though, despite fan nostalgia?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

sighyoung wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Bye Bye Chad Morris.

There was a column in the Louisville newspaper about Arkansas fans' interest in a reunion with Petrino. Do you see the athletic program being interested, though, despite fan nostalgia?
Petrino was hated by the media because apparently - and I find it easy to believe - he's a prick. The administration (Jeff Long - now gone, though some remain) didn't particularly care for him for the same reason.* But, he turned Arkansas into a top 10 team on a consistent basis, go tthem to a BCS bowl and put an extremely exciting brand of football on the field which brought in a lot of money. Further, he came to Little Rock and basically broke down crying and apologized during a lunch speech at the Little Rock Touchdown Club this year which got a standing ovation from the SRO crowd of 500+ people. For a decade almost now, there have been 'bring bobby back' mantras about.

That said, even the most die-hard petrino apologists/supporters don't really believe he can replicate what he did way back when. If people believed he could, there'd be something to it. Seeing what happened at Louisville though, the belief just is not there. I haven't heard his name from a single reputable source yet. The pressure is on the AD Yuracheck though because 2 years ago he hired morris who didn't even make it through 2 seasons before his team quit on him and they're paying him a $5M+ buyout. You don't get the boosters support by [expletive] up like that.

All that said, no there's not much urge to bring bobby back. But, IF BP could convince Yuracheck he can rekindle what he had going and IF the boosters buy in and IF no better options are available and IFF there are no legal repercussions for bringing him back after he was fired for cause after abusing the system to funnel money to his mistress, then yeah, it could happen. But, I'm not holding my breath.

*There's a story of the new buildings that were being built for the football program way back when. Petrinos office was to have a window because, you know, architects/everyone like windows and being able to see outside. Petrino was dead set against not only windows but the entire scheme of everything going on with the building which put the athletic department in a weird spot trying to get a brick bathroom more or less built to appease Petrino while planning/engineering/etc wanted the building to not change. At one point, the decision was made to get rid of the window(s) in his office but leave the ability to replace the facade with windows in the future I think because "coaches don't last forever" and that was said during his heyday. Then Bielema came in and was like...What, hell yeah I want windows this layout is awesome!!11!.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

mizzou just getting ass raped by the gators, jk, it's really the refs and in particular shoddy replay calls.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:Penn State is no longer undefeated... That was the surprise of the day to me
I mean I think Penn State beats Minn 6.5 times out of 10. Buuuut both teams undefeated in same conference- shouldn't Minn vault up to #5 or whatever and Penn State go to Minnesotas 15 or whatever?
Not exactly...strength of schedule plays a lot into it. Penn State was the first ranked team that the Gophers had played up to this point; they have games against Iowa and Wisconsin remaining so if they have strong showings against them and other teams falter; they could potentially move up but I have a hard time believing they will finish above sixth in the rankings. I also don't think they will beat Wisconsin; but anything can happen.

And lost to Iowa.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I advised a local Wolverine fan that the Buckeyes would beat them 48-21 in Ann Arbor next week. Posting this here as a reminder to myself. Carry on.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »