MacGyver of Underwear

2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

Post by JCShutout »

DEFEND THE TITLE!

wart57
just can't quit you.

Re: 2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

Post by wart57 »

Did any of you see they are bringing back the early 90's crazy Sweater for a few games this year?

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I will preface this statement of Ultimate, Universal Truth by sharing that my first jersey was one of those, as I was the right age. Fuhr was my guy. Nick Kypreos still enemy #1.

With all that said. Those clown jersey might be the worst jerseys in professional sports. They're literally garbage.

Remember people, this is Ultimate, Universal Truth. The Blues 90s clown jerseys are garbage.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Ovechkin is a beast. 3 on 3 hockey with that dude, oh my

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Whoa! Schenner resigned/extended. 8 years, $6.5m/yr. That a half million too much, which isn't too bad, but 2 years too long.

Bye Petro.

That said, I really like Schenn, and would rather have him at $6.5 than Bozak at $5m.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

they say they're still planning on extending Petro, but I just don't see how unless someone is traded next year (Allen, Steen, bozak?)

anyways, with all of our young forwards coming up/needing spots soon, I thought Petro would have been the one to sign, and they let schenn walk if it came to it

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Once they traded for, and extended, Faulk, I figured Petro was gone. There are just less D spots to fill, and you would have 3 good ones in Parayko, Faulk and Dunn even letting the captain walk. Only 3 spots left. There are more forward spots to fill, so having a nice top4 of ROR, Tank, Schwartz and Schenn still leaves 5 spots in the top 9 for young guys and vets on short term deals. Plus, you can eventually, 5-6 years from now, move a guy like Schenn to a 3rd line role and bet on him providing some value while he is replaced by a good young player.

We all love Thomas, Kostin, Kyrou, etc, but the odds of all of them panning out are low. I think Thomas has a high chance, and I'm pretty hopeful about Fabbri.

Maybe this extension is the Faulk/Petro for Schwartz. In a few years, maybe Schwartz is the guy not resigned. Who knows.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Question 1: If they don't extend/resign Petro, then they don't have to protect him in the expansion draft, correct?

Question 2: If that is true, then could they conceivably have a handshake agreement whereby they shed some salary through the expansion draft (say, don't protect Steen) and free up some coin to... voila! sign Petro as a free agent after the expansion draft?

jkline
Veteran Player

Post by jkline »

I like the Schenn contract, terms a bit long but the aav is awesome.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

mikechamp wrote:Question 1: If they don't extend/resign Petro, then they don't have to protect him in the expansion draft, correct?

Question 2: If that is true, then could they conceivably have a handshake agreement whereby they shed some salary through the expansion draft (say, don't protect Steen) and free up some coin to... voila! sign Petro as a free agent after the expansion draft?
1) I think the draft is next Summer not this Summer. (I thought it was this Summer too, so either I misread/misremembered something or it got moved back) Everything I'm seeing right now says "Summer 2021", so maybe you try that with someone like Schwartz and Binnington (both UFAs those years) but that's risky because the longer you wait to sign them, the better the chance they decide to test FA and get a big offer from someone else. Also, Steen is an UFA that Summer, so he's gone anyways unless he comes back for like Sanford money, which I doubt given the amount of kids we have.

2) Also, even if it was this Summer, why would Seattle draft Steen and his salary when we have to expose all but two of the following guys: Kyrou, Sanford, Klostin, Blais, Sundqvist, Barbashev, Perron, Bozak (meh, almost didn't include Bozak, but he's more productive than Steen at least) and any other good young player who might hop on the radar this year? (assuming we protect Tank, Schwartz, ROR, Schenn and Thomas)

Maybe if we sent them a 1st round pick they would draft Steen. Otherwise why wouldn't you take a good young player, or if a vet, Perron?

I could MAYBE see them wanting Perron if they were stocked with young players and needed some salary and some veteran leadership, but if I'm them, I try to find that in the FA market and get as many talented younger and prime-aged players as I can. Or, if we did resign Petro, take one of the Blues top 4 D (I assume either Faulk or Petro would be left exposed then with Dunn and Parayko protected) or Husso if he looks ready. (assuming we resign and protect Binner)