2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Re: 2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

Post by TheoSqua »

JCShutout wrote:I think I always liked Perron, but didn't like bringing him back when we had guys like Berglund, Sobotka, Lehtera, Bouwmeester (injured and making $2m more per year), Gunnarson (making almost double his current salary) (etc) all over the roster. We were overrun with overpaid, mediocre guys who could be replaced less expensively and were in dire need of 55-70 point guys. I saw Perron as a "tweener". A guy who could play on a scoring line with good players and find 50 points, but was probably more suited to being a good third liner who can consistently score 17-22 goals and move up a line if needed. (See, Sundqvist) We already had like 5 of those at the time. However he's adjusted his game and shot, he's a legit scoring line player and has been for 3 years now. I was wrong.

Acquiring Schenn and ROR while dumping Lehtera, Berglund and Sobotka changes everything. That and Bouwmeester being only slightly overpaid this year, as well as Gunnarson's new deal being just about right, and the emergence of Sunny and Barbie, who, unlike the Lehtera, Berglund and Sobotka deals, are making about what they should for what they provide.

What also helps is the Blues are flush with young guys making little $ who have a lot of skill and upside. That wasn't as much the case a few years ago.

The only "problem" contracts are Bozak and Steen, (Give Faulk some time, though there is likely a little overpay there) and those guys aren't terrible, just getting $2-3m too much per year, and those contracts are up after next year. So instead of having 5 problem contracts, we have two, which isn't horrible, especially when Tarasenko's and Parayko's deals are a bargain atm. On any team in any year, someone is going to decline or be injured or something. Having 1-2 overpays is manageable for a contender, especially one with lots of good young depth. Having 4-6 is a problem.

Even Bozak and Steen being problem contracts is a testament to the depth this team has. They were both signed (and paid) to be top 6 forwards and they rarely play in the top 6. Steen is expensive for a 4th liner in his current role, but the fact that the team has the luxury of putting him there and letting him age gracefully is pretty incredible.

Replacing the likes of Berglund, Backes, and Sobotka with Schenn/ ROR / Perron has been revolutionary for this team.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Robert Thomas is making Bozak's contract not look like a problem. They seem to be playing really well together. Even Steen on that line is working.

And MAN does David Perron ever want to be an All Star. Dude is at 19 goals (as of the end of the 2nd tonight). He's just a different player than he was in the past. He clearly learned a lot of things in the past few years.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Seeing the news Saturday night that Perron won the vote made me very happy. It is also pretty cool that Oshie is in as well and Matthew Tkachuck will be playing as well.

Now the Central can start their first game with all St. Louis Blues on the ice and Berube behind the bench!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Anyone going to the ASG or the Fan Fest? I'm going to the Fan Fest with my Dad. Game is expectedly expensive.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

JCShutout wrote:Anyone going to the ASG or the Fan Fest? I'm going to the Fan Fest with my Dad. Game is expectedly expensive.
I'm hoping to be there for the fan fest but we'll see. I have to fly to Boston on Sunday so I might be busy with other stuff. I'm sure going to try and get there though!

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I've got tickets to the fan fest as well.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I'm going to FanFest that Saturday with my family. Super excited about seeing the Cup.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

The ice is done for the ASG. Looks good. I really like the blue line detail.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Just a heads up, to all you going to the Fan Fair:

Don't count on seeing the Stanley Cup. Why?

Despite what it says on the NHL website, you cannot reserve a time to get your photo with it via the NHL Fan Access app. You can only make a reservation via a kiosk onsite. And yes, you can stand in the non-reservation line, but...

The hours of the Fan Fair (yesterday & today) are 3-10pm. We arrived at 4:15pm yesterday, because... you know, kids in school. By the time we got there, the line was already closed. I was told by an usher that when the doors opened at 3pm, about a thousand people were there and immediately went to the Stanley Cup kiosk/line. And keep in mind, yesterday was not sold out. Today and tomorrow are.

Bottom line: if you can't get down there today by 2 or 2:30pm to get in line, forget about seeing it. Just go and enjoy the other stuff, which is still pretty cool but just not the same.

Another word to the wise: If you want to attend anything (autograph signing or Q&A session), get in line well before it starts. Otherwise, they'll close those lines, too. I saw it with both Petro and Binnington.