2019-2020 NBA

A forum for non-baseball sports
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: 2019-2020 NBA

Post by 33anda3rd »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Or a short flight.
I suppose but the math gets way different when there's a team in your home city.

Though the Bulls' futility, their terrible blend of players, their horrible in-game coaching, their defensive schemes that work against the traits of the players on the floor, their rotations (esp the almost constant presence of three PG on the floor, are all adding up to a pretty bad product so far.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I think they've blown 4 4th quarter leads, two 18 point leads, and last night a 10 point lead with 6 minutes left.

Look at what the Suns are doing. It's coaching. There's either no buy in from the players or they don't know what's expected of them, what to do or when to do it. Time to rebuild the rebuild.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The Bulls, like anyone, have to figure their mix out but they have to figure their schemes out first. Boylan is running a defense on the high pick and roll that is predicated on the two defenders--the Bulls PG and Big--trapping the PG out of that pick and letting the big man roll. It's then on the guy guarding the strong-side corner shooter to fill the lane and pick up the rolling big, and the strong-side wing defender to split the difference between the wing and corner shooters, cheating on the one who is the better shooter of the two. In theory, great: put the most pressure on the ball-handler and force a TO. There's just one problem: when they do this there are two guys on the PG and then they're left playing 3-on-4 behind the ball, and Carter and Otto are the only guys on the team who are even a little bit good at rotating on D. Lauri can't guard the rim or figure out his rotation, and neither can Zach (he's painful on D) or 75% of the team. So, not surprisingly, they give up 50 points/game in the paint. The easiest shots on the floor they give away like halloween candy. And, unsurprisingly, they allow opposing teams to shoot 36% from 3P (34.7 is league average). He's rolling out a D that his team does not have the skills to execute.

Even if they had a plan, the Bulls players don't have roles they're suited for. Zach should be in the dunker spot. He should never take iso threes. He should never take stepback threes with 13 seconds still on the shot clock. He should never shoot contested scoop shot layups with his offhand in close and late games. He should never use 7/10 possessions in the last 3 minutes of a close game. Wendell is 6'10" with a 7'5" wingspan and playing C, which, whatever, he's the best rebounder and defender on the team but he should be in a PF role where he's switching around on the wing and getting hands up on 6'9" SG and SF and PF who are taking shots and they should have a true center to clean the glass.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

lukethedrifter wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Or a short flight.
Not too far of a drive from LR.
Very True.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I think it was Frank Ocean who said

"they want a ring with Carmelo
must be on that white like Othello"

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The Daniel Gafford Game last night was a ton of fun before the last 6 minutes.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I hate you, Zach LaVine, I hate you deeply.

I hate that when the other team commits a T, you stroll up to the FT line to assume the shots, even though you're usually the 2nd or 3rd best FT shooter on the floor at the time.

I hate that you play hero ball in a style that the league moved past about 10 years ago. I hate that in doing that you occasionally go off for 49 to win a 1-point game vs one of the few teams worse than your own, causing people to foolishly forget that the team is like 2-25 in the last 2 years in games in which you play hero ball close and late.

I hate that two games ago vs Golden State's collection of "Who Even Are These Guys" you failed to play defense then failed to block out leading to a game-winning 3-footer by your assignment, then you dribbled around and shot a hopeless three with 1.7 seconds on the clock. I hate that two nights later vs a good team in Miami in a five-point loss you missed more shots (14) than all but one other player on the team took, going 5-19 from the floor and 1-8 from 3PT. I hate that you play 3 minutes fewer per game than Devin Booker and Jrue Holiday yet you take more shots per game than they.

I hate that you were, before Chicago, nothing more than the 4th best player on a team incapable of winning more than 32 games and now you're the alpha dog on a team even though no team will ever make the playoffs with you as their best player. I hate that your Costanza-level chucking means that a team with FIVE players taken in the top seven spots in the draft in the last seven years do not develop as good NBA players because of the amount of time they spend standing around watching you dribble and shoot from two steps behind the 3-point line.

I hate you deeply, Zach LaVine, I hate you with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

What an exciting night of basketball last night.

D-Rose hits the game winner and then cusses on TV: In Houston at darn near the exact same moment, Westbrook goes coast to coast and lays the ball in for a two-point lead against a profoundly bad team at home then barks "GAME OVER GAME OVER GAME OVER" on his way to the bench. Then Bjelica, like at the same moment as Rose's shot... Not to be outdone, Zach did Zach playing hero ball in Chicago like 4 minutes earlier... Zach's gotta go.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

NBA TV is showing 93 eastern conference finals Bulls Knicks. Man I miss sports

Can you believe they let 20k+ people jam themselves into one building to watch Michael Jordan play basketball? Truly a different era.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I watched some of the NBA HORSE contest broadcast last night and it was pretty entertaining even though I don't watch the NBA these days.

They had a mix of current, former and WNBA players facing off on their personal courts at home against each over over a live stream. I saw the second half of Levine and Paul Pierce (Levine destroyed him) and then the entire match between Allie Quigley and Chris Paul. That one was really entertaining. Chris Paul was especially fun with his banter. His son was with him and at one point he missed a shot and yelled, "Chris, you suck!" Then he quickly corrected himself and specified that he was talking about himself and not his son and followed up with saying, "See, that's why you don't name your kids after yourself." It was just a little moment but it was funny at the time. And then when Allie took a shot from the elbow and banked it in (called it first), CPIII was jokingly complaining about Allie cheating because she knew it had been raining where he was so he had to sit on the wet court for the shot.

And then Allie beat him pretty good despite his comeback to move on. I'll watch more if I happen to see it while on again. I think more leagues need to find a way to do things like that. The NBA (or whoever) did a pretty good job with in my opinion.