2019-2020 NBA

A forum for non-baseball sports
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2019-2020 NBA

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
June 5 20, 2:03 pm
Blazers were the lone vote of dissent, on behalf of their players.

They really lucked out. As much as they were underperforming (even considering injuries) the Blazers would have had a pretty tough time qualifying for the playoffs. Now they're in--sort of--and with their frontcourt. Seeing Dame in this tournament, oh man. I can't wait.
This comment has aged pretty well. I thought Lillard might get up to something. Thanks Patrick Beverly (unbearable jackass).

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I love Dame and I like the Blazers because of him, but at what point to we ding him for having his "Dame time" persona and never actually doing anything in the playoffs?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

thrill wrote:
August 20 20, 12:02 pm
I love Dame and I like the Blazers because of him, but at what point to we ding him for having his "Dame time" persona and never actually doing anything in the playoffs?
Now if you want. But I'd argue with you, given the teams he's been on. Remember that time he scored 50 and hit a 40-footer to wave goodbye to an entire franchise? Is that actually doing anything? Seems like the kind of thing you could tap your wrist on forever. Not his only playoff series-ending buzzer beater either. If you want to ding someone, ding the GM. Or ding Dame if you'd like.

I don't know what he can do besides improve every goddam year. Be an incredible leader. Be a real dude. Piss on the notion of superteams. Humiliate Shaq in a rap battle. He's done it all for me, and even softened my notions about what matters as an increasingly less bitter Blazers fan.
Last edited by BottenFieldofDreams on August 20 20, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Heres this from Brian Phillips:
Game 2 against the Lakers is Thursday night. There’s a great chance, of course, that LeBron and AD will course-correct, as skilled executives do. It will surprise no one if L.A. leverages its massive talent advantage and reels off an easy win to give LeBron his first playoff W as a Californian. (Though not, obviously, his first in Florida.) You could even make the case that tonight is where things get real for Dame in bubbleland. He’s clawed his way into the playoffs and wrenched a game from a vastly more heralded team. Now that team will mean a new kind of business. Can he take the Lakers’ best shot and still will Portland to victory?

Whatever happens, though, I won’t forget the last month. Partly that’s just because what Lillard has done has been so spectacular. But at a moment when everything in the world feels like it’s spinning out of order, it’s been doubly exhilarating to watch the NBA’s most human star seize control of an impossible situation and make something glorious of it. In some small way, it makes me feel better, feel braver, to see Dame standing up to the larger-than-life forces arrayed against him, hitting a 3 from the logo, and dancing away.
He inspires me, too.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/8/20/213 ... ffs-bubble

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

To be clear, I am pro-Dame. I think what I'm starting to object to is his "killer" clutch persona. I have a hard time getting super excited about clutch moments that seal the 8 seed vs clutch moments that actually lead to a team punching above their weight.

So I'm not objecting to Dame time. I'm objecting to the hype around it.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Quinn Snyder looks exactly like my mental image of satan, just less red.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The Lakers and Clippers have voted to boycott the remainder of the 2019-20 season, according to Shams Charania, though every other team voted to continue playing.

After their vote, LeBron James walked out of the meeting and the rest of L.A.'s players, from both teams, followed him out the door. It's unclear how this vote was intended to play out. Each team could make their own decision, it could be symbolic, it could be a unified 'majority rules' situation, or something else entirely. Udonis Haslem reportedly addressed the rest of the room and "essentially [asked] everyone in room ... without Lakers and Clippers, how will the season continue?" LeBron explicitly said he wanted team owners to be more engaged and impactful, and the NBA has called an
Source: Shams Charania on Twitter
Aug 26, 2020, 8:30 PM ET
It "appears unlikely" that the three playoff games scheduled for Thursday will take place, according to Adrian Wojnarowski.

"Everyone is still too emotional," a source told ESPN. "There needs to be more time to come together on this." That's not a surprise, given the rapid escalation of events following the Bucks' decision to boycott their afternoon game in the wake of Jacob Blake's shooting in Wisconsin. The Clippers and Lakers were the only teams to vote for boycotting the rest of the playoffs during an all-team meeting in the bubble on Wednesday, which also included coaches and referees. The L.A. teams' votes were considered "more of a polling, than a final vote," and this discussion about the NBA's 2019-20 season will continue for at least one more day -- the players have a meeting set to begin at 11am ET.
Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter
Aug 26, 2020, 11:23 PM ET

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I working late last night and turned on the game only to see the Adam Sandler Longest Yard playing on TNT. Very confusing. Didn't open twitter because I'm trying to minimize phone/news consumption at night but was happy to see the reason for the game cancellation this morning.

I love a good wildcat strike.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

How is their no nba talk here? Some great playoff series going on.