NFL Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: NFL Season

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

There was a high school pitcher here a few years ago who had commotio cordis after being hit by a line drive. Fortunately the school had an AED.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

something as an aside when reading about this--i learned that most medical professionals elect to not have CPR done on them in an emergency situation, as there's really a slim chance of it being successful (never knew that) and that if it is successful, it can cause irreparable long term damage (which makes sense now that i think about it).

Can any resident doctors attest to that?

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

@AWvsCBsteeeerike3 My son has worn a heart guard shirt under his baseball jersey for the past 3 seasons. I don't know how much it will help, but it certainly can't hurt his chances should he be struck in the wrong spot. While it is an extra layer, it does not have sleeves. He has never complained about it making him too hot.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Does Tyler Boyd's touchdown count for my fantasy team?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

@mikechamp

I've been reading a lot about the topic and it's kind of frustrating that there's seemingly little evidence for the usefulness of protection. Not to say it's a bad idea, just one that's, obviously, tough to test. I see where the NOCSAE did research and found the cause then modeled a chest and tested equipment leading to the SEI certifying certain chest protectors.

I was also reading that the most common cause was balls with less velocity than you'd think (20-50 mph). Coupled with ~20-30% of cases occuring when the patient was wearing a chest protector (though possibly uncertified/no information given), it just seems like regardless of what people do to protect against it, $800 or whatever is a very cheap way to hopefully drastically improve a prognosis in the highly unlikely event it occurs. I just cant imagine it happening, knowing what I know now, not having one available, and being able to live with myself.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Leroy wrote:
January 4 23, 11:17 am
it will if they aware win/loss/tie in the game or if they finish the game at a later date

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

go birds wrote:
January 4 23, 12:06 pm
Leroy wrote:
it will if they aware win/loss/tie in the game or if they finish the game at a later date
Unfortunately, this game had huge implications for AFC seeding and who gets the bye week off. I don't know where they fit it in if itsnecessary to play it to decide playoff seeding.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
January 4 23, 12:15 pm
go birds wrote:
January 4 23, 12:06 pm
Leroy wrote:
Unfortunately, this game had huge implications for AFC seeding and who gets the bye week off. I don't know where they fit it in if itsnecessary to play it to decide playoff seeding.
ya i mean i think the game gets finished--it's just a matter of seeing how things shake out this weekend. i was just relaying what Yahoo! policy is currently w/r/t week 17

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I was really only kidding. I don't even have a fantasy team.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Adam Schefter said this morning he thinks a decision on whether the game will be played will be made before Saturday's games, but he doesn't think they will replay it and will use win percentage to determine seeding.

He also said that the NFL is considering a special circumstance in the AFC to let the 1 seed decide whether they want home field advantage throughout the postseason or a first-round bye, with the 2 seed getting the latter (and the 2 hosting the 1 in the AFC Championship Game being the only game where it would matter.) He also said that the conference championship game might end up played on a neutral site.