St. Louis Blues 2020-21 Offseason and Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: St. Louis Blues 2020-21 Offseason and Season

Post by JCShutout »

What is this “lead” thingy? Are we allowed those?

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Apparently not

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Frustrating end to a frustrating season.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Well that sucked.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Lots of 101 espn guys salivating over the idea of the Blues making a run at Landeskog, getting my hopes WAAAAY too high. No way Colorado lets the Captain go, right? (I assume they would let Saad go and give Landry part of Saad’s money and make another run before having to figure out Makar)

Boy he would be a ROR level perfect fit for the Blues though. Blues could make it work too at ROR/Tank level salary. Would probably have to trade Dunn if he wasn’t taken and resign none of our UFAs, but boy would Landy be a hell of a get.

Saad as a fallback wouldn’t be the worst thing... for the right price of course.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I haven't been listening to radio much lately so I don't know their reasoning. But I would be shocked if we managed to land Landeskog without giving up a painful package. I'm calling BS (on them, not you).

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

JCShutout wrote:
June 1 21, 8:33 pm
Lots of 101 espn guys salivating over the idea of the Blues making a run at Landeskog, getting my hopes WAAAAY too high. No way Colorado lets the Captain go, right? (I assume they would let Saad go and give Landry part of Saad’s money and make another run before having to figure out Makar)

Boy he would be a ROR level perfect fit for the Blues though. Blues could make it work too at ROR/Tank level salary. Would probably have to trade Dunn if he wasn’t taken and resign none of our UFAs, but boy would Landy be a hell of a get.

Saad as a fallback wouldn’t be the worst thing... for the right price of course.
I really don't see any way the Blues could fit Landeskog in and I'm not sure spending big money on another winger is a great idea anyway. Even in a flat cap world I can't see him getting less than $8 mil per year if he hits UFA and I wouldn't be surprised if he got more from the Kraken since they'll not have a ton of top 6 players available to them. I still think he ends up in Colorado though.

Makar's ELC ends this year and he's an RFA. He's going to be a Norris finalist this year and may already be the best defenseman in the NHL. He's going to get paid next year even if they only offer a bridge deal. I'd imagine he gets at least a $7 mil per bridge deal or a $9+ mil per year deal which will hurt in the short term, but after the flat cap ends and ESPN money bumps the cap will look like a steal. I'm really hoping they bridge him or, better yet, someone puts in an offer sheet and signs him away. That is unlikely to happen though.

As for the Blues I don't really know what I want them to do. I'm not sure I want them really signing any long term contracts with UFAs since they already have several deals that look like they'll not age well (Schenn, Krug, Faulk). I'm probably as down on the Blues as I've been in the last decade in terms of the direction of the team. We have too many bloated contracts to guys that will end in their mid/late 30s to really rebuild, but we aren't really a piece or two away from being true contenders either. We really needed better development from Thomas this year. I am and always will be a huge Jaden Schwartz fan, but I think I'm okay if they move on from him at this point as well unless he comes back cheap. Doug Armstrong has another tough offseason ahead of him.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I really like Schwartz as a player and teammate too, but his production completely disappears for long stretches and I feel like he won't be worth the contract he's likely going to get.

I agree that I'm not really sure where the Blues should go from here. They are a middle-of-the-pack type of team right now, a couple key injuries away from falling out of the playoffs. They're not bad enough to tank and get into lottery picks. But I don't think they are necessarily poised to make a couple moves to hang with the Knights and Avs next year.

I guess on the bright side, we aren't the Oilers who are completely pissing away the Connor McDavid years.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

GeddyWrox wrote:
June 1 21, 8:47 pm
I haven't been listening to radio much lately so I don't know their reasoning. But I would be shocked if we managed to land Landeskog without paying through the nose. And I don't think we have the cap space unless we leave Tarasenko unprotected and the Kraken bite. But in that case, why wouldn't they just draft young/cheap players and pay Landeskog. I'm calling BS (on them, not you).
I didn't realize Landeskog was a UFA this offseason. My bad. I have reworded my statement above.