St. Louis Blues 2020-21 Offseason and Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: St. Louis Blues 2020-21 Offseason and Season

Post by GeddyWrox »

Popeye_Card wrote:
October 13 20, 10:30 am
Losing Petro hurts. He's been my favorite player on the Blues for the past several years. But with the current economics, it makes sense to let him walk for that amount.

I don't like how our D corps is evolving though. Parayko is the only one I really like defensively. Binnington isn't a guy who is going to steal a lot of games by himself - he needs good defensive play around him to limit scoring opportunities.

The Faulk deal was just bad in hindsight. I hope the Krug deal doesn't end up the same. I'd feel a lot better right now if we had Petro and Krug, vs. Faulk and Krug plus $2.3MM.
++

IF Tarasenko were 100% and playing up to his usual capabilities, I'd say give him the C. But since neither of those things will be true this year, I'm good with no C, or giving it to ROR.

As for no A's within the D corps, I say give Parayko an A.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Nail on the head Popeye.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I am reeeeeaaaalllly missing hockey right now. Weather's getting colder. Holidays are approaching. It just feels odd without hockey heading into winter.

The latest theories on what the season looks like... 60 games, with camps starting around Dec 10th, season starting Jan 1st -ish.

I wonder if they are banking on getting the vaccine during camp or early in the season, or if they are just going to go the MLB route and tell the players to "be careful out there".

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

GeddyWrox wrote:
November 23 20, 9:10 am
I am reeeeeaaaalllly missing hockey right now. Weather's getting colder. Holidays are approaching. It just feels odd without hockey heading into winter.

The latest theories on what the season looks like... 60 games, with camps starting around Dec 10th, season starting Jan 1st -ish.

I wonder if they are banking on getting the vaccine during camp or early in the season, or if they are just going to go the MLB route and tell the players to "be careful out there".
Me too. I Hope to see hockey in January.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Steener announced his retirement, citing multiple degenerative back/disk injuries. I hope he can get well enough to enjoy normal life.

Hell of a blue. Great career. Had a couple frustrating years towards the end there when he wasn’t being used properly during his decline, but once he bought into being a role player he helped make our 4th line the equivalent to a really good 3rd line. We don’t win the cup without steener.

Between him, jaybo and petro gone in a year, this is a really different team moving forward. Really really different.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

JCShutout wrote:
December 17 20, 12:21 pm
Steener announced his retirement, citing multiple degenerative back/disk injuries. I hope he can get well enough to enjoy normal life.

Hell of a blue. Great career. Had a couple frustrating years towards the end there when he wasn’t being used properly during his decline, but once he bought into being a role player he helped make our 4th line the equivalent to a really good 3rd line. We don’t win the cup without steener.

Between him, jaybo and petro gone in a year, this is a really different team moving forward. Really really different.
Ditto to all of this.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

That leaves O'Reilly as the only healthy A on the team right now. Some combination of Perron, Schwartz, Schenn and Gunnarsson will probably get letters this season I assume.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

JoeMcKim wrote:
December 18 20, 4:51 am
That leaves O'Reilly as the only healthy A on the team right now. Some combination of Perron, Schwartz, Schenn and Gunnarsson will probably get letters this season I assume.
I'd guess that Parayko is the most likely among the D corps to wear an A, but you may be right with Gunnarsson.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

I wish Steen well. He was a great pro. The classy way he represented the team, on & off the ice, made me proud & grateful he was a Blue.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Thinking about the Steen trade, it’s not like it will go down as a top 5 franchise trade or anything, but it was a fantastic one. We traded a solid guy (stempniak) for a serviceable dman for a number of years, and steen, who outperformed even the highest realistic expectations for stempniak and for a long time. That’s a fantastic trade. Possibly on par or a little below the reaves for sunny and a 1st trade. (Depending on how sunny and klostin end up, that trade could end up being a way bigger deal)

I mean, it doesn’t compare with the trades turning lehtera, berglund and boat (and, to be fair, three first round picks and a former first round pick) into schenn and ror, but it was a franchise-altering move, in a very positive way.