St Louis Blues 2021-22 offseason and season

A forum for non-baseball sports
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: St Louis Blues 2021-22 offseason and season

Post by Popeye_Card »

Hey all, the Blues went and dominated a Winter Classic game, and I can't believe no one has said anything about it. I guess we have moved on from the excitement of outdoor games. (I will admit, they are OK as a novelty, but especially when hosted in baseball stadiums they are pretty poor viewing experiences.)

Anyway, let's talk about how impressive the forward lines have been this season. Despite the near constant line changes thanks to injuries and COVID, we still have 6(!) players averaging near a point-per-game or better (Kyrou, Tank, Buch, Thomas, Perron, Barbashev). Last season was the first time in decades that we had a player (Perron) exceed a point-per-game over a full season (ROR just missed it). This is a totally different offensive team than we've been used to seeing, and it goes a full 3 lines deep.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I had kind of check out off the internet around new years, but yeah, it was a great game. They are on a roll. Now just stay healthy and keep it going!!!

We are spoiled right now, for sure.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

did i hear correctly that it was the coldest winter classic game ever?

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Jocephus wrote:
January 4 22, 3:06 pm
did i hear correctly that it was the coldest winter classic game ever?
Yep. And apparently the 3rd coldest outdoor pro sporting event ever.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

"Hey, y'all! Let's play an outdoor game in Minneapolis in January!"

"Great idea!!!"

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Not only that, but they moved the time to 6 pm because it got too hot in Tahoe or something last year.

2 pm would have been better. Not much better, but when the sun goes down it gets colder fast. Everybody in West Siberia knows that.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

STLToday wrote:Veteran forward [Perron] became the sixth Blues player currently in COVID protocol, and the 20th on the list this season.

He joins Brayden Schenn and Colton Parayko _ both added Monday – and Vladimir Tarasenko, Jake Walman and Scott Perunovich – who were placed on the list last week.

Under the new five-day quarantine rules, it’s possible that Tarasenko, Walman and Perunovich will test out of protocol in time for Thursday’s home game against the Seattle Kraken. If not, the Blues will have to scramble to come up with a full game-day roster for that contest.

Forward Nathan Walker was called up Tuesday from the Springfield Thunderbirds of the American Hockey League to the Blues’ taxi squad. If Tarasenko remains in COVID protocol Thursday, the Blues would need to promote Walker and James Neal from the taxi squad in order to have 12 forwards for the Kraken.

And if neither Perunovich nor Walman test out in time for Thursday's contest, the Blues will be left with only five defensemen. Which explains why Calle Rosen was called up to the taxi squad from Springfield on Tuesday afternoon. He would give the Blues six available defensemen against the Kraken if needed.

This all presumes, of course, that the Blues have no positive tests between now and Thursday night.

The Blues are down to only six players who have not been on their COVID list this season: Logan Brown, Pavel Buchnevich, Jordan Kyrou, Klim Kostin, Robert Thomas and Marco Scandella.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

I thought Perron already had it but he must have had some other problem.

Anyway, I've gotten kind of behind, but I was pretty disgusted with the Pittsburgh game. They played well until the kid got popped in the face and then went off the rails.

The Dallas game was pretty good, I liked listening to the announcers say how awesome Dallas was and then they fall apart in the last minute. Pretty nice to see that happen to an opponent of ours for a change.

For Vlad, maybe a little rest is good. I remember saying he looked old early in the season, but he doesn't anymore. It is pretty cool trying to figure out whether he fits better with the Russians or the kids. I will stop thinking Thomas needs to shoot more...as long as he keeps passing like he does, it is good.

For some reason, Sundquist seems like a more valuable player than a lot of people think. Maybe it is because how the lines are shuffled when he is there, but they just seem to play better when he is in the lineup. Doesn't have to score or anything, it just seems like they are better.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I believe Perron had a concussion.

Yeah, that Pitt game was a disasterous 3rd period. Crosby is still one of the best players in the league, and that scrum he had with Mikkola lit a fire under him. But what's Mikkola supposed to do? Looked like Crosby started it.

And agree on Sundqvist. He's one of those players that has something that elevates people around him. He was one of the keys to our cup run, in my opinion. Just really sound all around. Like a slightly less dynamic version of O'Reilly.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

Yeah, Crosby was just trying to light a fire and it worked. Ticked me off though.