Veteran Player

Re: Rams Lawsuit

Post by Superorganism »

Not 2b. But still a lot.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I am glad it's way more than the 18mil reimbursement that they were originally aiming for. But part of me thinks it's still not enough for ripping an NFL franchise away from us. There are ways, measurable and immeasurable, that an NFL franchise brings value to a city. What was that amount over 20, 30, 40+ years?

I also have grave concerns that this pot o' cash is going to wind up lining the pockets of local grifters instead of going to good use. We need some sort of public oversight of how this money is going to be used.

Lastly, I wanted the owners to have to hand over their financial documents and have all this come out in trial during the playoffs and superbowl. It would have been delicious.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

GeddyWrox wrote:
November 24 21, 9:53 am
I am glad it's way more than the 18mil reimbursement that they were originally aiming for. But part of me thinks it's still not enough for ripping an NFL franchise away from us. There are ways, measurable and immeasurable, that an NFL franchise brings value to a city. What was that amount over 20, 30, 40+ years?

I also have grave concerns that this pot o' cash is going to wind up lining the pockets of local grifters instead of going to good use. We need some sort of public oversight of how this money is going to be used.
Its actually kind of funny, President Reed gerrymandered all the progressives on the Board of Alderman into the Convention committee thinking it was the most useless place he could put them. Now it looks like that committee will receive a giant windfall of cash. I just hit up some of the progressive aldermen on Twitter to see if that was the case, we will see what they say lol

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Glad it's done.

$790M probably seems like a pittance to Kroenke, considering the value of the Rams vaulted by about $3.5 billion since he moved the team to LA............... and also considering that the NFL will probably be on the hook for a chunk of the settlement.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Schlich wrote:
November 24 21, 9:55 am
GeddyWrox wrote:

Its actually kind of funny, President Reed gerrymandered all the progressives on the Board of Alderman into the Convention committee thinking it was the most useless place he could put them. Now it looks like that committee will receive a giant windfall of cash. I just hit up some of the progressive aldermen on Twitter to see if that was the case, we will see what they say lol
HAHAHAHAHA, that's pretty funny.

But honestly, the county was part of the suit too, so that one ward probably isn't going to get all the cash.

This is exactly why there needs to be some sort of plan and/or oversight of the settlement. The political bickering is going to get ugly fast. They need to come up with a way to safeguard it from pilfering.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:
November 24 21, 10:14 am
Glad it's done.

$790M probably seems like a pittance to Kroenke, considering the value of the Rams vaulted by about $3.5 billion since he moved the team to LA............... and also considering that the NFL will probably be on the hook for a chunk of the settlement.
This settlement does seem low to me (it probably is), but it's also likely the best way to get money for the city fast since a trial would've definitely been tied up for years in appeal.

Still, I wish they would've gone forward with it just to get it all on the public record.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

GeddyWrox wrote:
November 24 21, 10:15 am
Schlich wrote:
November 24 21, 9:55 am
GeddyWrox wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA, that's pretty funny.

But honestly, the county was part of the suit too, so that one ward probably isn't going to get all the cash.

This is exactly why there needs to be some sort of plan and/or oversight of the settlement. The political bickering is going to get ugly fast. They need to come up with a way to safeguard it from pilfering.
Sorry for the confusion, the "gerrymandering" was a loose usage of the term referring to the fact that he stacked this particular committee with Progressives instead of spreading the progressives out over multiple committees. The committees aren't ward-specific. But yes, the County, City, and Regional Sports Commission (overseen by the convention committee... somehow?) will be splitting the money in some fashion.

If the money goes into the city's general fund, the good news for progressives is that the budget-setting body (mayor, comptroller, and PBoA) has a 2-1 'progressive' majority, things are a little complicated with Board approval and the upcoming elections, but there's good reason to believe the money will be put to good use.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Hey for that kind of mine they could run that trolley out by the pageant a few more weeks.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

IMADreamer wrote:
November 24 21, 12:02 pm
Hey for that kind of mine they could run that trolley out by the pageant a few more weeks.
nana nana nana